Portable Greenhouse

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

This past summer I bought a portable greenhouse to overwinter my potted plants and start spring seedlings.

The photos are in sequence:

I put in a 10-inch base of pecan shells, held in place by salvaged landscape timbers. Drainage is never a problem in this area. I built a bench from 2X4s with 4X4 legs and a wire mesh top. The greenhouse was easily erected in about an hour with a little assistance from my DH, only because I wasn't tall enough to get the plaastic over the hoops alone. Following is the finished product. I have sown seeds around the perimeter to hopefully "soften" it somewhat. We are still at least a couple of weeks from our first frost, but I have several flats of perennials started and they're thriving.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2003 9:57 PM

Thumbnail by Kaufmann

The finished bench

Thumbnail by Kaufmann

The bench in place -- I put the greenhouse over the top of it. Was easier than trying to move it into the GH.

Thumbnail by Kaufmann

The GH in place with bench and shelves. A total cost of less than $400 and it will work just fine in this climate.

Thumbnail by Kaufmann

PS It is 6 X 10

Thumbnail by Kaufmann
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Kaufmann, your greenhouse looks great. I really like your bench!

I just put up a small greenhouse too. A 6 x 8 permanent structure. I hope to get a jump start on seedlings this spring also. I have not put too many plants in mine yet as I am testing the heating system for a few days.

Is it spring yet? :-D

Sounds great! My heating system is pretty primitive: Gallon jugs filled with water...

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Kaufmann, my first GH is just like yours! This will be the third spring it has been up, and it's going strong. I don't use it all winter, but in your zone it should work great. Maybe just a little bottom heat for your seeds.

Thanks for your note Skye. I figured that I will probably need to use a small ceramic heater when it gets really cool here. As you can probably tell, there is no electricity to it, but that could be remedied with an extension cord. I appreicate you sharing your experience!

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

There is a little flap in the front of mine, down at ground level, that works great for running an extention cord through. :)

Yes, I have the same flap. I use it for a hose, but it will also work great for that. Do you leave yours up year round?

Its supposed to get colder here tonight, so the greenhouse is nearly full -- a few more things from my porch to go in...then I hope I can fit to tend to them :)

Thumbnail by Kaufmann
Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I leave mine up all year. I move the plants out during the hottest part of the summer. During the coldest part of winter, it keeps my potted perennials from freezing to death. Last year, I started some seeds in there about the end of Feb.

Happy to report that it got down into the low 30's here last night, and with an inexpensive ceramic heater placed on bricks on the GH floor (on the low heat setting), the GH temp maintained around 55 degrees. Warm enough to keep the contents from dying. :)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

This is the type I've relied on for the past few years. I have to say I certainly got my money worth out of it. I couldn't overwinter plants but I always got a good head start in the spring. Mine has been set up since 1996 and is still standing today. It's been through many northeasters! There's a couple of holes in the cover and a broken zipper on the door now but it's still good and solid.

Wow, Poppysue -- that's great to know. I figured that if I could get a couple of years out of it in this harsh Texas sun, I'd be thrilled. We recently retired, and aren't sure where we'll end up (probably eastern Tennessee), and at that point we'll put up a permanent structure. For now though, I'm real pleased with this one!

PS -- been following your search for a new one. Any success yet? ...Gretchen

I am so very happy with this little GH. It has been in the teens again this week, at night and with my little $17 ceramic heater from Wally World, my minimum temp has been 50! I have (of course) outgrown it already LOL! Maybe my DH will build me a bigger one this Summer.

Thumbnail by Kaufmann
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

That is good news Kaufmann! I will report the same with ours...always 20 degrees upwards of the outside temp. We have had a nice snowy winter for once since 1996. Low's have been about 20 but probably lower. We lost a tree today from the ice...but the coleus inside the greenhouse are snug and growing!

Sue -- sorry about your tree, but glad you are also experiencing success with your GH. I really believe that you can't beat these for the money and ease of erection! Hope you have a great day and stay warm :) brrrrrrr Gretchen

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

I've been thinking about purchasing one of those ... eventually, I want to build a permanent structure but not this year - or probably next. Currently, I have a 6'x4'x2' shelf structure enclosed in plastic with lights ... it's under the patio so I haven't put any heat out there.

My big concern is WIND - our backyard gets some fierce wind sometimes. I'll have to specifically research for wind-safety. Do either of you that have these portables get strong winds ... do the tie downs hold up okay?

=:o) Judith

Mine came with long stakes that I drove into the ground with a sledge. I have to report that a deer must've gotten hung up in the guy lines several months ago and broke both of them on the North side (where our fierce wind comes from). We do get pretty strong winds -- probably up to 45-50 mph, and so far I haven't had a problem (saying a prayer as I write this)...I added more shelving recently to accomodate my growing collection of babies thanks to all the wonderful folks here at DG, but I have really outgrown it...

Thumbnail by Kaufmann
El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh that looks great in there - I know how quickly one can run out of room.

I'm still in the planning/thinking/dreaming stage - but I think I'm settling into an idea of building up some raised beds - two of them - and installing permanent pipes in 4 opposite corners on them.

The posts will be used to attach greenhouse walls (PVC/plastic sheeting) during the winter - big the space between the beds would be the aisle. During the summer, the posts would be used to attach trellises (PVC/netting) for verticle growing.

Space is at a premium, always, in CA - and unfortunately $$ is tight these days ... but this is the plan I've been developing checking out all your great creativity!

:o) Judith

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Judith, your plan sounds great! Be sure and keep us updated and of course, photos! :)

Judith -- that sounds great! I've thought about taking that thing down in the Spring, but then I'd have to find a place to store all the shelving and benches, so I've decided to leave it up at least until we put a larger, permanent one up.

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

Good point. I'll have to add that to my thinking. Currently, I have no gh but my patio contains a big shelf unit (6' tall, 4' wide, 2' deep) enclosed in plastic and another smaller plastic shelf closed in plastic. Last year I had a gh built up into a garage window - but we've moved and have no garage windows!

I took down the last unwanted tree this past week ... so much work to do ... so I'm looking forward to planting some new trees as we design the garden we want.

:o) Judith

Midland, TX(Zone 7a)

Am I actually seeing right through the top of your table? If so, what did you use to make the table top?

Yes, you are seeing right through the top. I have large plants in pots on the shelf below -- ran out of floor space for them real fast! It is hardware cloth stretched across the top and stapled down. Then I trimmed the outer edges of the bench with 1"x4" boards to prevent me from snagging shirts and skin, plus it gave it a more "finished" look. The bench was easy to make, and I did it entirely myself. It was my first such project...

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Gretchen,

I'm enjoying reading this thread again.

Thanks so much for all the help you gave me while I was trying to decide if I should get a portable greenhouse or not.

I'm really looking forward to getting mine up. I don't think I can get pecan shells here in michigan, but I do like how you set your up. I look forward to seeing more pictures after you do the landscaping you plan.

Thank you! Glad it has been helpful :) Here is a sneak preview of what I'm up to... I have the rocks in place, but I have a long way to go!

This is the beginning where it ties into last year's 'phase 1'

Thumbnail by Kaufmann

Winds around the edge of the driveway

Thumbnail by Kaufmann

up the fence line

Thumbnail by Kaufmann

and around the gh

Thumbnail by Kaufmann

from the gh looking toward the road

Thumbnail by Kaufmann

I'll post the 'after', when I get there, now that you've seen 'before'........................ Gretchen

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Looks Great already. I look forward to the after....

Oh...thanks! I have a lot of work to do. The heaviest part was gathering and placing the rocks. I still have more of that to do if it ever dries up here. And more still in 'phase 3' after this big bed is finished. I'm doing the newspaper-under garden soil-under mulch for this one. Last year I broke it all by hand with a pick axe. Not interested in that this time around...

In the Snow! 28 degrees outside and 71 degress inside!!!

Thumbnail by Kaufmann
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Lookin' good Gretchen!

I'm so grateful to have ours. I'm out there almost daily, putterin, checking....planting. C'mon spring!

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Gretchen you call that snow! I don't know, I think you have to have more than a dusting to get to call it snow.... ;-)

The 3 foot hills from the plows were finally starting to melt, but it's snowing pretty good out there again tonight.

Nice to know it stays nice and toasty inside your greenhouse. Do you do anything special to the bottom edge to "seal" it? Like cover it with soil or stones?

TC: I banked the mulch up about 4-6 inches on the outside, and it has helped to keep it warm and dry.

Sue: I know! Mine is loaded to the hilt with babies just itching to be planted outside!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.