White Moon Vine Seed

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Some of my moon vine seeds aren't white this year, they have brown places on them. Will they germinate?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I dunno?? Did they get damaged by frost? I wonder if a pest might have got inside. Try cutting one in half and look for a worm or grub...

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

No frost yet here but will cut one and see if anything is inside.

edited to say: I cut a few of the seeds open and nothing inside, they were soft so I guess they didn't mature for some reason.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2003 8:00 PM

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Ruth,
I've had mine to do that before too, and I chose to keep them for my own planting instead of trading them off. Much to my surprise they grew!! So I'd hang on to them or trade them if that is what you were going to do.
In fact I have also kept back some that were light brown and they too grew pretty well.
Since then I usually keep the odd colored ones and trade the white ones, and only if I am running low and need a last minute trade will I add a couple of the off white ones.
No problems yet...

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

I am wondering if I should cut all the moon flower pods in case we get a frost? There are bunches and they are really nice. I have openend some and planted the seeds and they are growing but I have never grown these and wonder if they will be ruined if we get frost. Also will the vine freeze easily??Also are the seeds as good if the pods are cut before they turn brown?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.