What kind of morning glory?

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

A morning glory came up on its own in my yard. I don't have a picture so I'll just describe it. The flowers are small, hardly more than an inch across and are light blue. As the day goes on, they fade to pink. The plant itself is not very big. It is definitely a vine and not a bush. The leaves are three-lobed.

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

Sounds like the blue dawn ... the blooms are usually larger on mine (3-4") but the plant is also. The blooms stay open all day. This morning glory (aka noxious weed) propagates by runners and is generally sterile (no seeds) ... it's ipomoea indica (same as ipomoea acuminata, congesta, cathartica, mutabilis) ...

It's beautiful - but needs to be controlled / can be invasive. In our mild CA climates, it's perennial.

:o) Judith

Mine produces seeds and I've not noticed any runners. It doesn't seem to be perennial but maybe they die from lack of water. It is not nearly as invasive the the common magenta-colored morning glory.

I think it might be this
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/53230/

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

This one too http://plantsdatabase.com/go/53528/ Blooms were 1" on mine.

I don't recall that the flower had a distinct "star" like the ivy morning glories. The plant is dead now, so I can't even check, but I did save seeds.

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

My second attempt at growing the "Mini Sky Blue" bloomed today - deep purple ... same as the last plant - oops - someone sent me the wrong packet of seeds!!! Ha!

Neither of these two has the invasive quality of my beloved blue dawn ... glad you got seeds. :o) Some passing bird thought they'd contribute to your gardening efforts!!

=:o) Judith

Judith, would you like some seeds of my suspected "mini sky blue"? I've got enough seeds that I can share with one person.

And yes, the mockingbird is very generous. He's provided me with more stuff than I can shake a stick at, or rather, a bottle of Round-up, in most cases. :-) The morning glory and one palm tree are keepers, though. The lantana and fig tree will stay for now but will have to go eventually since they are in bad places for as big as they are getting.

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

I'll take the lantana.

Check this out - very funny ... This is yesterday's NOT mini sky blue morning glory ...

Thumbnail by noxiousweed

Whatever it is, it's pretty.

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

But then this morning ... alas ... this flower ... and I didn't hesitate to clip the other stem (that bloomed yesterday) in the same pot!

Thumbnail by noxiousweed
El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks very much, Kelli!! I am an admitted seed-a-holic. And I have other msb morning glory seeds from another source - 'though that fact that one did bloom properly now makes me suspect - was it them, or was it ME?

Oh boy ... off to work on that note!

:o) Judith

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.