Autumn colours

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Here on the chalk of Kent we don't always have very brilliant autumn colours - I understand they tend to be better on acid soils.
This year though they're wonderful. This patch of Viburnum, Betula, Cornus etc is on a site where I've been monitoring dormice. I've also noticed the new plantings along the verges are glowing this year. A bit of thought and some native sp plantings by the landscapers are really beginning to pay off!

How are the colours your way?

Thumbnail by philomel
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Going nicely! I'm sorry I don't have more time to go further into the country and see them properly. Quite a lot of trees were looking good when I was out in the country last weekend, but it was a cloudy day and I didn't see them at their best.
I think I'll take a day out tomorrow, provided it's dry, to take advantage of the last of the longer days. And hopefully I'll go out on Sunday too.
I'd really hoped to have a last trip back to Richmond, but it's quite a lengthy journey, and I'd be travelling back in the cold and dark. Brrrr!!!! I'm thinking of going to Northallerton instead, a shorter journey, though not quite as pretty.
I really really don't like the idea of my jaunts ending! Though there are still several places roundabout that I can go to in the winter months.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I read recently that the lack of colour in the UK is because of the lack of frosts when the trees are recycling the goodness in the leaves.

Ours is boring as ever. Margaret's Chestnuts are nude already with 1000s of conkers on the lawn.

The sweet chestnuts are excellent here this year - have collected lots to roast at Christmas

Enjoy your trip - whichever you decide to do Diane :)

Sweet Chestnuts are everywhere here too including a line planted not so long ago. The path below is littered with them

But are they large and round and worth picking up? lol

yes. I was sitting in traffic when I saw them.

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

My stagshorn was beautifully scarlet this year, mixed in with the other trees around ,the colours were beautiful.

The sumachs are spectacular aren't they sue? Do you have problems with suckers?

Not yet, but I keep waiting, I'm sure they're going to erupt like a forset soon.I grew it from seed , so it's only 3/4 years old so far,I suspect I might live to regret planting it ..we'll see.

Depends what else is nearby I suppose sue :)
They certainly give a lot of pleasure with all that colour anyway

It's at the edge of a bed that goes through to my potager and Jazz's play area.
Ray, my neighbour has planted a bamboo too, along the back of this bed, which has a chain link fence dividing our gardens,and this has crept through into mine,and popping up in all sorts of places, and can I get the roots out? can I as heck,think they're cemented in.

I should imagine the sumach looks good with a backing of bamboo. They'll just have to battle it out lol

Ooops, meant to also put in a photo of some more autumn colour I came across today - the good old Fly Agaric on a garnish of coloured leaves ;-)

Thumbnail by philomel

Looks like they should have a couple of pixies sat on them..incredible colours.Usual stunning photography.

Yes, there's something magical about these isn't there?
Thanks for the compliment sue :)

I found some more photos I'd forgotten were still on my camera LOL
Here's a closeup of the shrub in the first photo, Viburnum opulus, with it's transluscent berries

Thumbnail by philomel

.......and some of those sweet chestnuts :)

Thumbnail by philomel
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

I hope I can get one more day out in the countryside. The trees are losing their leaves heavily now - soon they'll be quite bare.

Yes, the countryside here is changing its appearance fast after all the recent winds. Still wonderful blue skies and sunshine at the moment though

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.