Suggestions please

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'm after suggestions for something to put in my tube next year.
On one of my front walls I have three stone troughs, they are in sunshine all day long, so they get very hot and dry there.It's the one itwm thats not on my irrigation system as hubby hasn't worked out how to connect it without either triping up , or strangling people as the go down the steps.
Now I always get these ones mixed up, but would Gazanias do well?and there's some other daisy type flowers that look similar too.
What was it that put Mark in your raised bed? they seemed to do well.I need something that doesn't mind occassionally drying out a bit,doesn't need too much looking after, but will flower well.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I suggest you get into alpines and underplant with small growing species Tulips and Narcissus. Lucky you to have a stone trough.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

How about some sedums?

In my trough, not made of stone, I have Narcissus that are only a couple of inches high, a couple species of Tulips that are only inches high too, small Cyclamen, Gentians, Salix reticulata, Androsace and Clematis cartmanii 'Joe' for fantastic spring colour, Leucojum autumnale and colchicums

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

You also have a lot more rain than sue. I think a lot of alpines would struggle in the hot dry conditions.
I agree with the sp tulips, as they love a summer baking, but perhaps under some more mediterranean subjects like thyme, cistus, helianthemums, convolvulus sabatius/cneorum

.....or why not the gazanias?

If you like the idea of alpines though, put some rocks here and there to create microclimates with their shade and to provide cooler root runs

the Gazanias need to be replaced every year. They do come back each spring but lose the vigour during the winter.

I never thought of a permanent planting..missing the obvious again...thanks for the ideas,
Might mean a trip to the beach for a few fossils to go on it too, that sounds really nice.

you could try all bulbs so you have a long season. small Colchicums, small species Narcissus, species Nerine, species Crocus autumn and spring, Tulips, choice spring and autumn Galanthus and Corydalis ( not really a bulb). This is such a good idea I'm gonna do it with my new tufa trough made from a fish box

Just look at http://www.rareplants.co.uk

Thanks Mark, I've ordered a catalogue from them,give me something else to browse during the cold days,whilst drinking my hot-choccy and munching biccys.
Philomel,is the cneorum that silver leaved plant with white flowers?

Yes, that's right sue, and it's a small shrub, whereas the other's a tender perennial. Sometimes C sabatius (syn. mauritanicus) comes through the winter here though if kept pretty dry and in a west facing spot.
C. altheoides is a pretty hhp little climber/sprawler too, though in my experience slightly more tender than sabatius.

What size are your troughs? could they take small shrubs? If so Genista lydia and Cytisus purpureus might be worth a thought, though they have a shorter flowering period. Dwarf Cistus, Halimium and x Halimiocistus too

Of course don't forget the Pelargoniums lol, with scented leaf ones in any spots where people may brush past...

They are about 3ft long x 1ft,and theres three of them.They're made of reconstituted Portland stone,would like the real thing, but way too expensive.
As I live on a steep hill, the front steps of my house come down, then go sideways,so these are on a low wall at the bottom of the first lot of steps, I put them on top of the low wall that was there as a couple of times ,if i wasn't concentrating when going out I'd fall straight over the top of this low wall!At least a pot filled with plants is a bit more visable,and an excuse to grow or buy more plants too,as if we need that .;-)

Another lovely tiny shrub that would be suitable is Rosmarinus prostratus. Rosemary is traditionally planted as a welcome - I have one of these in a pot on my doorstep. It flowers a lot of the time - right through the winter last year until midsummer and now it has started flowering again. It's a real favourite of mine now, I hope never to be without it again!

Yes, you definitely don't want to be falling off walls!!!

Sounds nice philomel, I love rosemary,should do well there too in the heat.
think I'll go for a mix of low shrubs and bulbs, with some alpines in between.

When I described it as tiny, it can spread sideways quite a way. It would look good where it can hang over an edge :)

That combination should work really well. I look forward to the photos ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.