Anyone grow Akebia from seed? Please advise me.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi,
I have purchased some akebia seed (2 varieties) & tried soaking and planting per the instructions & it has been 6 months & nothing. I have since heard that they need cold strat. I only have a few seeds left & I really want this plant. Can someone that has successfully grown these from seed PLEASE tell me what to do. If cold strat is needed, when should I put them in the fridge? It does not get cold enough here to do winter sowing. And if I put them in the fridge now, what kind of temps do they need for germination? See? I am totally lost here! LOL
Please let me know what has worked for you.
Thanks
Donna

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

"Creative Propagation" says to use CMS. The fridge should work fine. Check once a week for germination. Although what the germination rate is, it is hard to say. Not many choices with zone 9.

The bottom of this page has some web sites that may be of help. http://www.zyworld.com/informalgarden/Page%203.htm

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you Golddog,
that is a very interesting link. I appreciate you posting it.
I went ahead & put these in the fridge. You say to check for germination every week. I have never used this method before so excuse this dumb question, but are you saying that they will actually sprout while in the fridge? And if that is the case, does that mean I don't leave them in there for an exact period of time? I just leave them in till they sprout? and if they don't sprout do I just leave them in till they do? I am sure this is just basic info but I really am in the dark here. Thanks for your time.
Donna

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I haven't actually grown this seed. But if no germination by 6 weeks, take the seed container out of the fridge, and put it outside (zone 9a). The differences in temperatures should do it.

There must be someone that has tried this seed.

Black Diamond, WA(Zone 8a)

PM
If you need cuttings, I have an Akebia who will go dormant soon. Still vital though, let me know.
Doug

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Doug,
that is a really kind offer! I might take you up on it next year if I cannot get these seeds going. Maybe by then I will have mastered the art of starting cuttings. I know, it is supposed to be simple. Tell that to the cuttings I kill! LOL
I have been told numerous ways to start them and have yet to be successful. My friend OhioBreezy is determined to teach me, so maybe I will master it eventually. Going to try her willow water technique. She says it is foolproof... Hope I don't prove her wrong! ;~P
Thanks again,
Donna

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

HAA HA, you will get it eventually, I promise, even if I have to walk out there and help ya, he he.

How is the morning glory scavenger hunt going??? LOL

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Please drive. I don't want to wait that long...LOL
Boy, it FEELS like a scavenger hunt, don't it? But I would say we are doin darn good, don't ya think? Won't have 2 nickels to rub together but we will have the prettiest MG's! LOL
Thanks for bumping me girlfriend.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.