Wintersowing?

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Might not be the right forum for this... I wasn't real sure where to putit, but what the heck is Winter Sowing?
I get the general idea, I know what WinterSowing Wheat is, but there are flowers you can wintersow??

Melissa

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

I just finished reading a thread about this exact subject in garden talk. Here it is...

http://davesgarden.com/t/404757/

Hope this info helps.

LimeyLisa Kay

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks LimeyLisa! Denise

Norlina, NC(Zone 7a)

You can winter sow any seed that needs a cold period for germination and it is really very easy. Just look on the seed packets or in the catalogs and see which plants need a cold period, sometimes you can tell by their names, like Alpine, Russian, etc. plants from cold areas. Here in 7a, I usually do mine in late January. I use whatever container is available, even styrofoam cups, although I prefer something bigger like a turkey roasting pan. Make sure you label them well cause with all of the weathering, you could lose your plants' names and forget what is where. You don't have to worry about losing your seeds to birds and mice nor lose your seedlings to damping off, and you don't have to harden off your seedlings. We are just doing what nature would do in a plant's natural environment, how they would normally grow if left in the wild. :)
Karen in NC

Indianapolis, IN

You can also wintersow most perennials that are hardy in your zone.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Melissa, Trudi Davidoff is a woman who has done a lot to popularize Wintersowing in the states-- and here is a link to her FAQs http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/wtrsow/2002050141031613.html

and some pictures of how she does it....People seem to swear by it (wintersowing)...

I did it last year a little and it was fun and plan to do it again with some Cleome, Belles of Ireland, Pansies...

It's similar to just sowing seeds outside except that you cover the seeds with plastic lids (with air holes for transpiration) to protect them from heavy weather, birds, varmints, etc.

There are a number of WS threads going right now---seems to be the season for it--that you might want to look at... Watch out. Apparently people get addicted to it!

Have fun. t.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

And now - a year later - we have our own forum right here!!!

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Yep that we do! I might also add that any seeds that say reduced temps at night do well with winter sowing.

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

You can winter sow almost anything. Tropicals are out for most areas. These coneflowers were winter sown 2 years ago. I'm doing some more this year. I just love them. As for flowers, I winter sow petunias, allysum, morning glories, sage, hollyhocks, vinca, dahlberg daisies, etc.

Thumbnail by JuBabe
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

how pretty - nice shot!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.