Night Blooming Cereus, Queen of the Night, Dutchman's Pipe (Epiphyllum oxypetalu

Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

Common name: Night Blooming Cereus, Christ In The Manger {Is what I have always heard it called} Queen of the Night, Dutchman's Pipe
Family: Cactaceae
Genus: Epiphyllum
Species oxypetalum

I have place a copy of my instructions on the care of the Night Blooming Cereus onto this web site just scroll down and you will find it and also a recipe for mixing fertilizer that I am now using and my plants love it.

You can still e-mail me at cbalihi@yahoo.com if you have further questions about this plant. I only know what I have done for my plant over the years. I am not an expert on the plant and there will be questions that I can't answer unless my plant had the same problem.
This message was edited Jul 30, 2004 2:03 AM

This message was edited Jun 16, 2005 1:06 AM

This message was edited Oct 8, 2006 9:45 PM

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 12:34 PM

This message was edited Jun 25, 2012 12:35 PM

Thumbnail by Connie243
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow, Connie, that is awesome.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

This is incredible! The foliage looks wonderful, and I can't even see the pot. Spectacular flowering; congratulations on a great job of growing this plant.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

We really need the scientific names with this plant. Here at Dave's I have seen at least 3 or 4 genera with the name Dutchman's Pipe.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

That is one gorgeous plant. I have never seen so many blooms on one plant.

Bogalusa, LA

How long does it take before it blooms flowers and also how long the flower last?

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow this is a great picture!!! I just got a few pieces the other day from my father-in-law, which he got the big grandma plant from a friend...it bloomed once the other night but the bloom died the next day.

What a sight it was to behold...I cant wait until mine gets this huge.

They also put it up in the church for viewing one Sunday, everyone was in love :-)

Thanks for sharing this photo :-)

Just wanted to add...the fragrance of this flower is one like none other...you have to experience it to believe the beauty it beholds and the fragrance...Wow wow wow

This message was edited Oct 21, 2003 11:31 AM

Maple Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Connie, your photo is gorgeous! I'm growing a night blooming cereus in a greenhouse in MN. It is a wonderful plant but it keeps trying to take over the whole greenhouse (the greenhouse isn't very big). Can you tell me more about how you encouraged this wonderful compact growth? What did you pinch back, how often, what did you use to tie it up? Thanks

Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

To All,
Sorry I don't come to this site very often. I try to answer all that have written asking questions about this plant. If I missed your question feel free to send me a personal e-mail and I will be happy to answer any and all questions.
Connie
Southern Ohio

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

What are you feeding that plant lol?????

Murphy, NC

Wow What a beautiful plant,,, How do you get them to bloom,,,Ihave one a friend gave me a year ago and I have not had my bloom at all...It is growing big and I have alot of cuttings from it ,,,but no blooms,,,any help would be greatly aperciated

Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

CARE OF THE NIGHT BLOOMING CEREUS AKA "CHRIST IN THE MANGER"

Some things you need to know:

1. They don't do as well in full sun as in the shade. {Depending on where you live and the type of heat that you have in the summer}. I keep mine on my front porch which faces north. {I live in Southern Ohio on the river, summers here can get hot and humid}.

2. They like to be somewhat root bound [being root bound is the secret to getting it to bloom well] and will bloom better if they are. DON'T re-pot any more that every 3 yrs. and just go up 1 pot size. I use regular potting soil & peat moss, and add a hand full of bone meal. Mine are so big now that I just exchange the soil and don't go to a bigger pot. In a few years I will probably have to divide the plants again. I have done that once already.

Here is a copy of instructions that a friend of my Sister sent me, on the care of the Cereus a few years ago. Notice that this one is for the cactus type cereus. I have inserted my ideas into this letter in ALL CAPS, so you can see what my thinking and feelings are on what they say.

If you have any questions at all, no matter how silly you think they may sound, please write and ask. I love to help people grow and enjoy the "Christ In The Manger". This is the name that my Mother called the Cereus when I was growing up and it is what I call it also. I think the Queen of the Night is the name of the one that has a cactus looking tri-side stem, instead of the flat leaf.

Keep me informed of your progress & Good luck, Connie

QUEEN OF THE NIGHT
Selenicereus Grandiflorus

Size and growth rate
Queen of the Night is a slender cactus with yard-long, looping stems which need support. It can get quite big. THEY WILL NOT GET THIS LONG IF YOU PINCH THE TIP OFF A STRAIGHT STEM WHEN IT GETS ABOUT A FOOT OR SO HIGH. THIS
FORCES IT TO PUT OUT LEAFS INSEAD OF GROWING LONG STEMS WITH 1 LEAF ON IT. NOTICE I SAID "STEM" NOT "LEAF".

THIS IS PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP TO KEEPING IT LOOKING BEAUTIFUL YEAR ROUND. IT WILL PUT OUT LONG SHOOTS OR STEMS & ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PINCH ABOUT 1/4 TO 1/2 INCH OFF THE TIP END WHEN IT GETS TO YOUR DESIRED HEIGHT AND THAT WILL FORCE IT TO PUT OUT LEAFS. The tip is very soft and easy to pinch off.

Flowering and Fragrance
The flowers are trumpet shaped and grow to a length of about 10 inches, with a diameter of 8 to 12 inches. The white petals are surrounded by yellow - brown bract I WOULD CALL MY BRACTS PINK AND NOT YELLOW-BROWN. The plant
characteristically blooms very briefly in June/July. MINE BLOOM FROM JUNE TO SEPT OR OCT. DEPENDING ON THE WEATHER. Flowers last only one night and die early morning.
The flowers have a strong but pleasant fragrance."HEAVENLY" In its natural environment, the flower attracts night insects to pollinate it.
Light and Temperature
In the winter, the plant should have as much sun as possible. As soon as the spring sun comes, however, it should be given curtain-filtered sunlight. During the winter months the temperature should be about 55 deg. to 65 deg.F , but in the summer, it can tolerate higher temperatures. SEE NOTE BELOW

Watering and Feeding
The soil should be kept moist from November to April. I DON'T KEEP MINE MOIST THROUGH THE WINTER MONTHS. I water them when they feel dry on top. Throughout the summer, water frequently and feed the plant with a weak plant food solution. Mist the plant frequently. 10-10-10 IS GOOD FOOD & DON'T MIST IF IT IS IN THE SUN! I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIND THE 10-10-10 SO I STARTED USING THE 20-20-20, AND JUST ADDING HALF AS MUCH AS WHAT IT CALLS FOR PER GALLON

Soil and Transplanting
Queen of the Night likes a rich peaty soil, and the pot should be well drained. The plant can be re-potted about once every three years when flowering is over. I HAVE ALWAYS DONE MY RE-POTTING IN THE SPRING, MAINLY BECAUSE IN THE FALL WHEN I BRING THEM IN THE HOUSE THEY USUALLY HAVE A FEW BUDS STILL ON THEM. JUST GO UP 1 POT SIZE AS YOU WANT IT TO STAY ROOT BOUND.

Grooming
Queen of the Night is not usually trimmed, but if it becomes too large for its environment, it will not be harmed if is is carefully groomed back.
THIS I DO NOT AGREE WITH, IF YOU DON'T TRIM IT WILL GROW LONG AND STRAGGLY AND WON'T PRODUCE THE RIGHT SIZE LEAF TO BLOOM! ALSO IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO KNOW IS THAT IT IS THE "OLD LEAVES" THAT PRODUCE THE BUDS, SO NEVER REMOVE THEM.

Propagating
Queen of the Night is increased by cuttings. Carefully trim off the young fresh side shoots which should be 34 to 6 inches long. It is very important that the shoots are not too old. Once a cutting has been take, allow the surface of the wound to dry. Then set it in pure peat, sticking it in to a depth of about an inch. Long, thin cuttings should be supported. Keep the soil moist.
{ I DISAGREE WITH MOST OF THIS, YOU CAN TAKE A LEAF OR A BARE STEM AND PUT IT DIRECTLY INTO THE SOIL OR WATER, AND IT WILL ROOT } THIS COULD BE BECAUSE THEY ARE REFERRING TO THE CACTUS TYPE CEREUS & NOT THE FLAT LEAF ONE.

Environment
Queen of the Night is a tropical apiphyte which thrives best in high humidity and high temperature. At home it will do best with other plants in the greenhouse, or on the sun porch.

Buying tips
Queen of the Night is one of the rarer cacti. The plant should be completely undamaged and free of brown patches on the shoots.
IF YOU GET BROWN SPOTS ON A LEAF IT IS MOST LIKELY CAUSED BY ONE OF TWO THINGS. 1. SUN BURN {IN SUMMER} 2. COLD DRAFT {IN WINTER} EITHER WAY JUST IGNORE IT OR YOU CAN CUT AWAY THE BROWN SPOT BUT DON'T REMOVE THE WHOLE LEAF. IT MAY BE ONE THAT WILL PRODUCE BLOOMS.
Life-span
Queen of the Night can grow to a ripe old age. The first flowering comes after a few years. MY PLANTS HAVE A 50+ ROOTS IN THERE SOMEWHERE. ALWAYS REMEMBER IT IS THE OLD LEAFS THAT BLOOM AND NOT THE NEW ONES. I WOULD GUESS THAT IT MAY TAKE A NEW LEAF ABOUT 4 - 7 YEARS TO BLOOM FOR THE FIRST TIME. THIS IS MERELY A GUESS.

Season
Can be bought throughout the year. {I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU CAN BUY THEM. I HAD A FLORIST ASK ME FOR ONE OF MINE BECAUSE SHE COULDN'T FIND ONE}

Difficulty quotient
Queen of the Night should be grown on a sun porch, in a heated greenhouse, or in a living room with a south facing window.
MINE ARE IN A GLASSED IN SUN ROOM FACING EAST AND HAVE DONE VERY WELL THROUGHOUT THE WINTER MONTHS, FOR SUMMER THEY ARE ON THE FRONT PORCH IN ALMOST FULL SHADE FACING NORTH.

QUEEN OF THE NIGHT through the year December - March : Keep the temperature between about 55 - 65 deg. F.
MINE ARE AT THE SAME TEMP. AS THE REST OF
THE HOUSE, FOR OUR COMFORT. ABOUT 70 DEG. DAY AND 65 NIGHT. IMPORTANT TO KEEP OUT OF DRAFT IF POSSIBLE.

Water carefully, making sure that the soil around the roots is kept moist. The plant should have direct sunlight during the winter months. I DON'T WATER MINE THAT MUCH THROUGH THE WINTER, I NEVER KEEP THE SOIL MOIST, LET IT GET ALMOST DRY BEFORE WATERING AGAIN.

APRIL - SEPTEMBER : When the spring sunshine brings some warmth, give the plant curtain filtered sunlight. WHEN THE THREAT OF FROST IS GONE, AND THE NIGHTS WARM UP TO 50 DEG. I PUT THEM OUTSIDE ON MY FRONT PORCH WHICH FACES NORTH. {USUALLY LATE APRIL OR EARLY MAY, HERE IN OHIO.

From April onward, gradually increase watering. The plant needs a lot of water, and during the summer months it should also be misted frequently.
DON'T MIST IN THE SUNSHINE OR YOU WILL BURN THE LEAFS. ALSO NOW IS WHEN YOU WANT TO START FERTILIZING IT. I USE A 10-10-10 PETER'S FERTILIZER. IN APRIL ABOUT ONCE A MONTH

From May to the end of August, the plant should be fed twice a month. I AGREE
JUNE - JULY : If need be, the plant can be re-potted after flowering. It is usually enough to repot once every three years using a rich soil (preferably a mixture of 1/3 ordinary soil and 2/3 peat).WHEN I RE-POT I ADD A HANDFUL OF BONE MEAL TO THE SOIL AND MIX IT IN. I USE ABOUT 1/2 AND 1/2 PEAT & POTTING SOIL. Good drainage is a must. I HAVE THE BOTTOM OF THE POT FULL OF RIVER GRAVEL, THIS IS GOOD FOR WATER DRAINAGE AND ALSO TO WEIGH THE BOTTOM DOWN, TO KEEP THE PLANT FROM GETTING TOP HEAVY. I use a tomato stake in each of my pots to stake them up, and tie them to the stake with old sheets torn into strips.
OCTOBER - DECEMBER:Queen of the Night should be placed in a spot with as much sun as possible, keeping the temp. between 55 - 65 deg. F.
I HAVE MINE ON THE EAST SIDE OF THE HOUSE. THEY GET MORNING DIRECT SUN AND THE REST JUST LIGHT. IT SEEMS TO WORK FOR ME.

I WILL FERTILIZE MINE WHEN I BRING THEM BACK INTO THE HOUSE IN THE FALL, THEN AGAIN AROUND FEB. AND THEN AGAIN IN APRIL, BEFORE I PUT THEM BACK
OUTSIDE.

BRING THEM BACK INSIDE IN THE FALL. SINCE MINE ARE WELL PROTECTED FROM THE NIGHT FROST I WILL LEAVE MINE OUT UNTIL AFTER AT LEAST THE FIRST LIGHT FROST. THEY SAY THAT THE COOL NIGHTS OF FALL IS WHAT SETS THE BUDS ON FOR THE NEXT SUMMER. JUST DON'T LET THE FROST HIT THE LEAFS.

GOOD LUCK
Connie

Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

Here is something that I found on one of the forums, and want to share it with all of you here. It is a home recipe of fertilizer that is good for the Night Blooming Cereus. I have used it on my plants several times this year and they are blooming like crazy so I can say that it does work. Doesn't smell good, but it works.

Go to the epiforums site, fertilization forum to read more about it. (this is what Becky Sewell wrote on epiforums.com)(taken from the epiforums.com site):

Fast-Aging Cactus Fertilizer
1 can of beer
1 cup of Epsom salts
1/2 cup of ammonia
2 cups of water

Mix and put into a 1-quart container. Use 1/2 oz. per gallon of
water every two weeks, when you water your cactus.

1 cup = 8 ounces; 1/4 cup = 2 ounces = 4 tablespoons
1 fluid ounce = 2 tablespoons; therefore 1/2 oz is 1 Tbsp.

I've kept this stuff in the capped bottle for two months (till it was all used), and it did not develop mold, fungus, rot, or any other profoundly negative attributes. I shake it before pouring into my big water jug, and it has smelled the same the entire time, besides maintaining its initial clarity.

The above formula was acquired from
[HYPERLINK@www.sunshine4-u.com] site.

San Diego, CA

In reference to a post by Connie 243, Its interesting that epiphyllums are known by several names including Christ in the Manger. She states her mom called it that and Connie enjoys calling it Christ in the Manger as well. I wonder if there is anyone out there in the "Land of Dave's Garden" who knows HOW it came to be called Christ in the Manger? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a picture of our epiphyllum that bloomed two days ago. My husband took the picture of our "Epi" while my hand in the background shows the scope of its size.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2007 7:09 AM

This message was edited Jul 30, 2007 7:12 AM

Thumbnail by peacefulgardenz
La Vernia, TX

Wow, that is truly stunning. I also have the same plant, given to me by my mom, only she calls it October cactus. I guess that's around the time it blooms in Florida. I was looking for propagating and growing information and happened upon this site. Your tips are helpful, so I'll be printing it out. Thanks.

Thumbnail by cheanne
Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

In answer to peacefulgardenz question about the name "Christ In The Manger". The plant was given to my mother from a lady in our Church. She was about 80 yrs. old at the time, and had the plant for many years. She had it in a large old fashion wash tub. She is the one that told my mother the name of the plant, and gave her a start. After years of searching to find the real name we found that Epiphyllum oxypetalum was the true name. If you look inside the flower you will see a bed of staimen that you could say looks like a manger, then there is the star that is outside over the manger. That is all I know about the name.
Connie
cbalihi@yahoo.com

Louisville, KY

I have three of these. How did you tie it to the tomato stake? Is it a cage? Or just a wooden stake?? Mine bloomed several years ago. I lived in the woods. I had bright light,but little sun. It bloomed in July. When does yours bloom?
I have a big one in a 14 inch pot. Mine was my great grandmother's.
I never knew to pinch off those long shoots. I will do that. Thanks for your infomative page!! Awesome!!!
Let me know how you tied that up. Especially without damage.

Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

I don't get to this site as often as I should, and that is why I posted my personal e-mail address. I get several letters a week about this plant. My personal e is cbalihi@yahoo.com feel free to write anytime and I will do my best to help you. I am not a professional and don't claim to be. I am just telling you what I have tried over the years and what worked for me.

As for what I tie mine up with: I use an old sheet and tear it into strips, then tie it around the area that is the stem of the plant. I have done this for years and it seems to work the best. If you use twine or string it will eventually eat into the plant whereas the torn sheet strips don't.

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I do love my plants.
Connie

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I was looking on an epiphyllum site today, and recognized your picture...

did you give them permission to use it???
http://www.ecology.org/orchids/index5.html

Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

No, I have never been contacted by anyone asking permission to use my pictures. I have been contacted by several who have seen the picture on a web site and recognized it as my picture. A few have even sent me a link to the site that has my picture posted.

Thanks for asking and caring.
Connie

UPDATE: I went to the web site and sent Mr. Joseph D. an e-mail asking him to remove my picture. Had he ask permission I would have probably given it to him. The picture on his site has been cropped so that the "Copyright" could not be seen.

Thanks to all of you that sent me personal e-mails letting me know that you had recognized my picture on his web site.
Connie

This message was edited Oct 7, 2008 10:57 AM

This message was edited Oct 7, 2008 10:59 AM

San Antonio, TX

I have 3 of these plants and they have bloomed 8 times this year. I started out 3 years ago with 4 leaves. they have grown so much . I split them up this spring and gave some to friends. They bloomed again last night. I love this plant and the fragrance is wonderful I wish iI could bottle it.

Ashland, KY(Zone 6b)

Here is a link to a web site I found on line that has the Night Blooming Cereus for sale. I know nothing about the site, but if they send you what they show in the picture I will say that looks like a good deal. http://www.southernpineperennials.com/

Connie

Pittsburgh, PA

Hello,
I was given Epiphyllum leaves by a co-worker to propagate in November 2008. I cut the 2 leaves into 6 pieces and after about 1 month, they all rooted. It is now April and there has not been any growth other than the stringy roots. Should I expect sideshoots to come up from the soil or should I expect growth on the leaves? Did I do something wrong by cutting the leaves in half? Any reply would help.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Greetings,
I have a beautiful queen of the night that was given to me by a friend about 6 months ago - she has been blooming like crazy - but just this last week or so I've noticed her leaves turning a bit yellowish and it looks as thought something is eating away at her and she may have a fungus - her leaves are soggy in some places and dried out & crusty in others - see pictures - if anyone can help - I'd truly appreciate the adivse of what to do to make her well again
Thank you
Mama Crow

1st pic is when she was doing well in full bloom #2 is one of her beautiful flowers #3 is the one where something is eating away at her - I can't see anything #4 & 5 is the fungus or ?? # (well I'll have to post the next pics separate - I don't know how to post them together yet :-)

Thumbnail by mamacrow
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Here is the pic of something taking a bite out of her - don't see any worms or ?? there

Thumbnail by mamacrow
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Here is her flower

Thumbnail by mamacrow
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Sorry to post so many - if anyone knows how to post multiple pics & can let me know I'd appreciate it!

Here is the fungus

Thumbnail by mamacrow
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Another view of the fungus - last pic

Thumbnail by mamacrow
Shelbyville, TN

I am looking to buy a Dutchman's Pipe Cactus, Night Blooming Cereus. My husband's mother had 2 plants shortly after losing her battle with cancer, they both died. I wanted to surprise my husband this Christmas with a plant, but have been having a very hard time finding anyone who has them. Can anyone Please help me find one. my email address is dawnlredden@yahoo.com. I could use all the help I could get finding one for him. Thank you!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Not a good idea to post your email address in a public forum, spammers love to scour the internet for publicly posted emails. You should use the small edit link under your user name and the date/time stamp to erase it. If you want a private reply, anyone can click on your name and send you a D-mail message. You have to come back onto Daves to retrieve it though. If you don't come back within 48 hrs, you will receive an email that you have a D-mail message waiting for you here.

If you click on the PlantFile link in the first post, you'll see that there are 8 vendors that carry this plant.

Manchester, United Kingdom

Hi

This thread is amazing!!! I have been trying to identify this plant for about 5 years. I got a leaf off a friend and cut it in two to grow a couple of plants. I gave one two my dad which flowered once and the one I have has never flowered but is quite big. I wonder if its to do with the weather we have in Manchester (UK). We seldom see the sun and the sky is almost always clouded over and grey :-(

I will defo be following your growing instructions Connie243. Can't wait to see the affect it'll have. I'll let you know...

I have one question though. I have seen pictures where this plant is allowed to grow trailing from a hanging basket as well as propped up with canes. Do you think it has any preference between the two?

Thanks Joe

Jefferson, NY

I have a night blooming cereus also. It only bloomed once. I will try some of your suggestions. Thank you. However, I also have a plant similiar to the one pictured in mamacrows message. It has huge red blooms similiar to the night bloom cereus. I get lots of blooms but I have trouble starting new plants. When I try to start from a leaf I get the same crusty problem as momma crow. Any help out there?

Louisville, KY

This is to Joe1982. I have mine in both. It is totally up to you. Mine have gotten so big in the pots they fall over, so when spring gets here it will be time to move'em out and put'em in one size larger. It's whatever you prefer. I have my night bloomers in one big pot and then I have other species of epis in hanging baskets.. I have to work on mine this spring. I tend to neglect them in the winter and they do fine. Really, It's up to you. Julie

Louisville, KY

Bob Smoley sells Epis cheap, but I am not sure of his reputation. I did a search and found his name on google. :)

Austin, TX

Help!! Have had my Queen cactus (night blooming cereus) for > 18 yrs now. Repotted it this spring and it had been looking very good up until recently. Leaves are turning yellow thruout or some are turning brown along edges. It did get a fair amt of rain earlier this month as it is outside.
I do have it under a lg tree canopy in a clay pot. I've also spotted the dreaded leaf-footed bug and am killing it right and left. Also have been using pesticidal oil, snail bait and diotamaceous earth. Any idea what this is & how to treat it? I'll send 2 more pics. Thks, Deb

This message was edited Jul 25, 2010 1:00 PM

This message was edited Jul 25, 2010 3:40 PM

Thumbnail by deboray
Austin, TX

Here's another shot of the brown edges. Deb

Thumbnail by deboray
Austin, TX

Here's one more shot from the back side of a leaf. Notice the yellow spots thruout. Thks, Deb

Thumbnail by deboray
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9a)

I live in fl. central, my night bloomer is huge, i'v had her for 10 years or more. never had any problems, easy to root, in water and soil. When it comes to feeding she does fine with mircle grow. In winters here can be cold, she stays in green house, at 65- 70 degrees. I would like to try another form of fertilizer, does anyone have any ideas? as for any brown spots i would just remove the whole leaf, and watch if it comes back maybe the soil needs replaced.

Bellflower, CA

We have had our Queen of the Night for about 3 years. It was given to us by a friend because it outgrew her patio. We have split it and given pieces to family, where it continues to bloom and grow. It is a fascinating plant and we love ours. We have gotten 30 flowers at one time and when they all bloom, the fragrance is something you cannot describe, but just take in. She looks so sad and ugly in the Winter, but once Spring comes, she is beautiful once again. I hope everyone enjoys the pictures.

Thumbnail by Davesgirl8156
Bellflower, CA

another pic of our Queen

Thumbnail by Davesgirl8156

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.