stonecrop sedum

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Does stonecrop sedum produce seeds?

Yardbird- they do. Here is a link that might help.

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/873/

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yardbird, sedum seed is often like dust... very small. I haven't collected much of it, but I have grown it from purchased seed. Sedum is so easily rooted from cuttings that I don't think to collect seed. I suspect you'd need to allow the seedheads to mature on the plant, and bagging the heads might be necessary to avoid the seedheads spilling the seeds before you harvest. You can shake out the heads into a bowl, then run them through a fine sieve to separate chaff from seed.

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Thanks Weezingreens.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You're welcome, yardbird. When I propagate very tiny seeds, I mix the seed with a small amount of coarse, sterilized sand. That gives me a much more even distribution of seed on the medium surface. It's especially helpful when seeds need light to germinate, since the silica lets in light.

Here is a photo of Sedum acre with seed heads. The picture isn't too detailed, so they almost appear to be the blooms, but these are already dry and ready to harvest. I clipped th heads off and let them dry a day or two before shaking the seed out.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.