Lavatera

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Anybody start Lavatera from seed? I have several nice plants and want to start more for trade. I don't think the color of the flower means so much (light pink to darker pink to lavender). They are all great plants.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I just sowed them outdoors, they grew fine and bloomed nicely. I think they're about the easiest plants to grow from seeds and get lots of flowers fast.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Evert, I knew someone from Europe would respond. Do you think it would do well as a winter sow? Or the spring would be OK?

Why did you think so? :D

Spring would be best I think. I sowed mine in May and they bloomed well and I harvested the ripen seeds in August. They grew in our rock garden in a sunny place and well drained soil.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I am thinking more of the big Lavatera. L. 'Barnsley, L. 'Sweet Dreams', or even L. 'Barnsley Baby'.

Oh you mean Tree Mallow? I don't know about that one, I've only grown L. trimestris.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

goldog, I had a big lovely Lavatera in my front yard last year and it had tons of babies from the seeds droping into the soil. I can't tell you about when to plant them, since I live in zone 10 and things grow year round out here.

Sadly, a big wind storm blew it over last spring and craked it at the base. I had lots of babies to share with others though.

Donna

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Donna, I think I will start some inside and also try winter sowing.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Golddog, I start lavatera indoors every spring, since our season is so short. One of my favorites is 'Mont Blanc', but I also start 'Beauty Mix' and 'Silver Cup'. Lavatera are annuals. Malva sylvestris is a perennial in your zone. They don't winter over here, but I grow them as annuals since they bloom the first year. Malva moschata winters over here, and it would probably self-seed like crazy where you live. I'd check the PDB for more info on malvas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.