Rooting Torenia - it's easy!

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

I had such good luck rooting these in water that I thought I'd share. I hope I made it in time before any of yours have bit the dust via frost.

I just found this plant this year and love it! Got some off the sale table at WalMart and figured I'd take a chance. That five bucks sure paid off ~ the plants I got are blooming their little heads off outside. I can't wait to get the snow white one and deep purple one and some trailing ones and ... ;)

My cows chomped one of the half dozen plants I bought, but must not have liked it because they spit it out. I stuck the pieces in water just to see what happened and WOW! I did this about three weeks ago and below is a pic I took a few days ago. They're even blooming while they're rooting! Gotta' love that.

Hope this helps someone. :)

Thumbnail by Wingnut
North Tonawanda, NY(Zone 3a)

Thanks for the info. That's a great way to stretch a plant budget!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Wow, I like the color of that one. I have the plain old blue/purple ones that trail over the sides of pots or make a good ground cover. I guess I better go clip a few and get them started for a winter pot.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Oooo, Brugie ~ I've seen the purpley blue ones and I likey! They're on my want list alongside all the other colors. Would you like some of the pink ones? I'd be happy to send you cuttings of this one (in trade for the purple or just because) ~ I can send them in a tube roll package thing so they don't get crushed to death. I also have a pink one just like this but with the pink spot on the upper petal also.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Email me with your address and instructions for how I should cut and pack and I'll get back to you with my address too. Would be happy to trade cuttings.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

Wonderful, Brugie! You'll have mail in a minute. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.