Help Please Identifying this

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

I found this today growing inbetween a shrub, was not able to get any of the roots out as it was completely over taken by the shrub, I have started looking and so far not come up with anything. I cut some pieces and put some in water for tonight and some others in sand. I have 3 seeds so I am hoping to be able to figure out what it is. It was pretty buried in shade so it may be blooming later than it should be. I also think it must be a perennial because of where and how it was growing. I can't imagine that anyone would put an annual under these large shrubs. I suppose it could be a volunteer annual though hadn't thought about that. Anyway I really appreciate your looking, I would really like to be able to grow this.
Alice

Thumbnail by aknapp
Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

The first photo is the seed pod that I found. There were 2 seeds in it that I will also inclue photo of.

Thumbnail by aknapp
Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

This is the vine and leaf, parts of it had wrapped itself around other parts of the vine very much like a clematis would do, but I don't think the seeds are right for a clematis.

Thumbnail by aknapp
Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

This is an unopened flower that was on it, it looks pretty sad but I am sure it probably got his with the frost this morning.I really appreciate your taking the time to look and I am off now to go do some more searching to see if I can find it.
Thanks again
Alice

Thumbnail by aknapp
Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Looks like a common, hardy MG known as bindweed to me.

"eyes"

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Eyes
I think your right I just looked at it on the database and I bet you can guess where its going. It sure has a pretty flower for being such a horrible plant. My goodness I thought trumpet vines were tough to keep under control I can't even imagine the likes of this thing. Once again DG has saved me from myself. Thanks so much
Alice

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

Before you condemn it, grow it in a pot. :o) Many MGs will bloom in a 8-10" pot.

Judith

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Butchpoodle I may try that. It really looked like such a pretty flower it seems a shame to trash it.

Alice

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

aknapp, although it may be pretty, I would get rid of it. That thing will attack you in your sleep....don't be afraid to trash it, belive me if you see one theres more, lots more......LOL...

Once established it is a terror and almost impossiable to control. The birds spread the seeds here and I really have to watch of it. The birds deposit seeds in places I cant get to and then it has the oppertunity to really spread.

We have another pretty little Blue flower here too that is just as invasive. I thought it was so pretty so I let it go and now it has taken over my entire flower bed and is coming up in the yard. I pull, chopped and spray and it comes back. Wish I would have known......

It dosen't bind but grows so thick and tall it over runs all other plants around it. I have included a photo of it to. Its very pretty but a real pain. ....LOL...
Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Grady, AL(Zone 8a)

Alice, we have those MG's all over the place. I love 'em, DH hates 'em, good thing can't get rid of 'em :) Willow, is that spiderwort?

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

You bet it is, and this thing has caused me more greif than 10 Monkeys.........LOL....it's never ending, I've already used at least a pint of roundup on this stuff and it dies and comes back....ugh, shoulda name it resurection or something, give folks a warning....LOL...
Dee

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much WillowWasp and butterflygal, I am feeling very fortunate that I did not find it at my house and that I brought it home wrapped carefully in a paper towel. I cut the vine and put it in some sand trying to root it and put the 3 seeds I found away for safe keeping and then I posted the note, because I am rapidly finding out some things are not what they appear!!!!
I have since had a lady ask me for it and I told her she was welcome to it that I would go ahead and see if I could root it for her and send her the seeds also.
I have it totally isolated from everything else so I am hoping that I won't see it again.
The other vine that you have a picture of is one that I had gotten in a bunch of wildflowers when I fist started growing anything. I pretty much had it forever after that in very strange places. When we moved here last fall I was careful not to bring any with me.
Thanks again
Alice

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

WillowWasp, have you tried vinegar on it? They say vinegar kills our weeds & I know it kills grass. This might just be your 'weed-eater'!!!
:~)

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Thats a new one on me...but I will try it. This is really giving me a problem and seems I am constantly pulling this stuff out. It even comes up through the mulch...If nothing else works I am going to put down black plastic....lol
I will try this and let yall know what happens.
:o)
Dee

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

My step-brother tells me that he uses boiling water to kill weeds in his driveway, and warned me about using it in the yard because it would kill everything else too.
I wonder if if would work on your vine. You may not have a spot to try it on that you wouldn't kill a lot of other stuff because of the way the roots spread out.
Good luck and I am most greatful for all the posts.
Alice

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

The little blue flower that is taking over your flower bed is called a Day Flower. They are horrible and I hope if you find something that will control it that you will post. They are driving me out of the flower beds and veggie garden. Just when I think I have a grip on them, they go nuts again.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

You are exactly righ Brugie, same here. I have tryed so many things on this and from what I have found is this.
The roots underground break easily and when you use roundup it only affects what it touches. The other roots may not come up right away and when conditions are right they spring up. So from all the digging and pulling I think I am going to have this awhile.

I found another patch in the back corner that just appeared out of no where. So that leads me to belive it is also spread by, insects, birds or on shoes. I have looked for seeds and only find some very tiny black spots.

This has been a real toughey for me and I gain a little ground then lose it again in no time.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Are going to try the vinegar? :~)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.