Geranium Cuttings

Vancouver, WA

I've put a lot of cuttings in a soil-less mix and used rooting hormone. Now I'm finding conflicting information about moisture and light. I've read everything from keep them in the dark and water once a month to keep them moist in a sunny spot. HELP please! I really want to succeed at this. Thanks.

Glen Arm, MD(Zone 7a)

We put our cuttings in 5010 oasis cubes with no hormone, just mist to keep them moist. Indirect light until they're rooted should do, then pot up cubes and all.

when i start them from cuttings i just use what ever potting soil i have on hand(i never use that soilless junk) and make it very wet to start. I start with a cutting that is about 5-7ish inches long and remove the bottom half of the leaves and stick it in that far i also bottom water it for about a week then start to water it normaly. i always lose a few but usually have about an 80% success rate.

Lake Elsinore, CA(Zone 9a)

I hate to say this, but where I live, if a piece falls off the pant, it just up and roots! (they have rooted in the hottest of areas, we get in the 100's mostly 95+) I have several cuttings that I just plant in potting soil and water and make sure that they don't get too dried out. I keep them in morning sun. If they get too much water they tend to rot.

Case in point, I have a pot that I placed on the ground and forgot till the next year. It had grown into a really big plant and the pot was sideways! I also have them coming up in the cracks of my cement steps.

Gotta tell you, I think they are the easiest other then spider plants to root. Does this help????

jul
thats just not right :-)

Sorry Troy, out here many people consider them weeds and just pull them. I however tend to like them.

they think Geranium are weeds.
let me send them some sented ones and they can send me all the weeds they get lol.

I know. I love the lemon scented ones.

I can send you some starts of some of he ones I have if you want. I cut them from ones I gave away. No roots on them yet and you will have to get potluck, because I really don't remember what colors they are. I know what colors I had, but alas, can't tell you except one, what they are. Let me know. I would trade for scented ones?
Jul

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.