Datura?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

My friend has a plant in her garden and she has no idea what it is, but it looks to me that it's maybe a datura. It now has some big cocklebur looking seed pods on it. The plant has froze, but the seedpods are brown, but very soft. I cut one open today to see if the seeds were mature and they are brown, but very soft.

So, will these seeds mature now that the plant has frozen? Or can I pick the pods and still have the seeds mature? I'm wanting to save the seeds real bad, but I have to be gone next week and I'm afraid that the pods will mature and open up losing all the seeds. Do they do that?

Any advice?

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

JoanJ: The pods usually don't mature after a frost. If the seeds are brown, then they are mature. Pick them from the pod and let them dry. I use coffee filters spread on a paper plate to spread the seeds on to dry. I went out in my garden tonight and picked some datura. We had a killing frost first part of the week. I only pick the ones that have split open, also pick the pods that have turned brown. Remove the spiny pods as soon as you can to avoid mold. Hope this has helped.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Thank you Debby. She picked them and brought them to work today and we got the seeds out. None of the pods had broken open, but some pods had seeds that were brown and hard, so I'm hoping they will be viable. We have them drying on a paper towel, then I may try to germinate some to give them the test.

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

The seeds that are brown and hard should be viable. Some varieties don't break open. I picked some pods after the frost and some of the seeds were white inside the pods, so they went in the trash, as I know they weren't viable. Good luck with them. Too bad we didn't have a little longer season.

Northern California, CA

JoanJ -

I don't know whether you are looking for a particular Datura, but I have tons of Datura tatula seed availalbe....already dried, packaged and ready to go.
For those interested, please send small padded envelope with 49cents postage inside, I will readdress and return to you w/seeds.

Email me for address.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by Happenstance

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.