Fix my Wisteria

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

This is the very first year my wisteria finally bloomed and Isabel split her right down the middle. Is there any way to salvage her or should I give up? Just noticed it today as we have been away and the sight made me sick to see it this afternoon.
The trunk is about 2" diameter and it split about 6" down, is there a quick fix?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Don't run right out and do it until others say something but.....LOL The dogs hit mine so hard it snapped off right above the ground and I just cut it off and left it. Believe it or not, it sprouted up really nice, covered my deck post and bloomed twice. Maybe you will have the same luck. Depending on how long it has been broken, could you tape it in hopes it might grow back together?

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

I don't think anything can kill
a Wisteria. You may lose the
one you have, but it should come
back from the roots. If not I
have white & purple, will glad to share with you this spring.
DH has a fit, because it sends
runner everywhere!!!!

Honeybee

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks all. It has another runner off to the side, but you know me, this is the main trunk which I had growing nicely into a tree and got its only blooms for the first time in 7-9 years.
Thought about taping bad, any idea what type of tape to use?

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

I don't know. Bugs may get in,
might be better to see if it will just heal over by itself.

Honeybee

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Split too badly to mend itself. I just talked to John at our garden center and he said it is tricky business but to try to match up all the torn tissue and then bind with some burlap, any kind of tape and perhaps a heavy wire or rope to hold it together and hope for the best.
He told me to stop by and he would also give me some grafting wax to seal the wound before I "surgically" stitch it up with tape.
Then he said, just cross your fingers!

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

I'll say a Little Prayer this trick works. I hate to see anything die.

Honeybee

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well used the vice grips and etc and duct tape and grafting wax and we shall see!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Good luck to you! It would be awful to lose it! If worse comes to worse, maybe that one shoot will take off full blast!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Good morning,
I know this is an older post but curious the outcome. Did it stay green or did it wilt? Hoping for the best. Let us know. I have had this bookmarked so I could check back.

Thanks,
Sandy

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well it looks okay right now, never entirely wilted. Fixed with the duct tape ( like my dad always said LOL). Has those little nubs on it for the winter and entire plant is covered on both sides of split like always!
Keeping my fingers crosses as this was the first year in many for a few blooms!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Sounds great keep us posted.

sandy

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

My friend across town and I agreed that if we each
let our wisteria grow unabated they would meet by July's
end. I had to cut mine back in March because I needed
to paint the trellis it was on and repair it.
It didn't bloom but it did make it half way to her house.

I agree only an act of God would kill the thing

Bethlehem, GA(Zone 7b)

I know this is quite a bit late for posting but the tape should work. I have a wisteria and a camellia that were broken when we had some trees removed 4 years ago. I used electrical tape and they are still doing great. They bloomed, even on the "repaired" sections! Good luck!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks, it is looking good even though it is winter. I had to use vice grips to get the sections back together and then did the taping. Hope it mends. If so, will be taking a pic to our local nursery to show John, who said it is a very difficult procedure as you have to match up the veins or whatever to get it to produce again. Hope to show him that I make a "great surgeon" LOL!

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

I would go ahead & try to mend it. Like you said... 7 to 9 years... I want blooms!
But My Dad's sends suckers up all the time, and they bloom, all over the place... If you have the room.. maybe you could watch that sucker? It may know what to do with half the work. *G*

Good Luck... and the day are getting longer...

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well I got the best of Isabelle on this one. The doctored wisteria is in full bloom for the first time and imagine it happened with duct tape!

http://davesgarden.com/t/427577/

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

That's awesome! Wisteria the cockroach of the vine world, just can't kill it :-)

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Apparently not cause my garden guy at Snavely's said I needed to line up all the veins, etc. or it wouldn't survive. Believe me, not able to line much up, just used the big vices to pull it semi back together and then started with the wire and tape. Can't wait to take a pic to Snavely's and show John it did survive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.