Drac seed starting techniques???

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Many of us are receiving drac seeds,so suggestions or links on starting them would be appreciated very much ;-)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Dracunculus vulgaris , Sow under very thin cover at 20ºC (68ºF) in light and constant humidity, germinates in less than two wks if temperatures are held at or above that level. http://tomclothier.hort.net/page03.html

.... Sow both species [D.vulgaris and D.canariensis] in any humus-rich, yet well-drained soil in a sunny spot. Keep seedlings from Dracunculus vulgaris sunny and frostfree in their first winter. Best if raised from seeds under frostfree conditions for two years before transplanting to the open garden in summer. http://www.rareplants.de/plants/seeds/araceae.htm

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Thank You
poppysue ;-)
...You sure have a knack for giving simple easy to understand answerz.....
shirley >^,,^

Fort Dodge, IA(Zone 4b)

poppysue, I just received 3 dracunculus vulgaris bulbs in the mail....I live in Iowa (old zone is 4b, new zone is 5) and I'm wondering if I have time to get them in the ground yet. The temps are below freezing for awhile overnight right now, but the ground is not frozen hard yet by any means. Thought you might be able to give me some advice...I also got a crown imperial in the same shipment and don't know if I should plant it either....any advice you or anyone has would be appreciated.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2003 4:43 PM

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

IowaNovice, I've been growing dracs here for many years and they not only thrive, but multiply like crazy. I started with one bulb and now have oodles of plants. They are not really supposed to be hardy in Zone 6, but they seem to love it here. Did you order them from a catalog that would have sent them now for planting, is your ground frozen at all yet, if so would wait till spring. If not would plant them now and mulch them good. Here is a link to my plants.
http://www.hhcreations.com/Dracuncula.htm
I also grow lots of fritillaria and they don't like real cold winters. Mine came back every other year for several, but only the new ones made it through last winter. Be especially careful about the fritillaria, plant them on their sides with some sand or gravel for drainage as the bulbs will easily rot.
http://www.hhcreations.com/Fritillaria.htm

Fort Dodge, IA(Zone 4b)

haighr. thanks for the info. I got the bulbs from Brecks...they had that $20.00 coupon so I got them for next to nothing. It just took so long to get them! Our ground is not frozen at all yet, so may just plant the dracs, but was wondering about the fritillaria...do they require a cold period at all? If so, could I store them in unheated garage over the winter and plant in spring? Or how about planting in a container? Any thoughts on that? If not, will go ahead and plant it on side with sand/gravel for drainage. Thanks for the tip...your plants are beautiful!!!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I'd go ahead and plant the frits now also. Unless someone has a better idea. I have always put mine in in the fall. Like I said the blooms I got this year were from plantings last fall. In 2002 I didn't get any to bloom although they did come up, just no blooms. I understand they only bloom every other year. They do need a cold snap, so plant away, just be sure you use the side method and some gravel or sand so to avoid rot. They also like a bit of bone meal in the spring. But must admit, I'm am not too good about remembering to use it LOL!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8a)

haighr
So yours don't smell as bad as they say eh? I know that temp and humidity will effect it's smell.One summer I had four plants in bloom and just couldn't wait to show everyone who was coming over that evening for a Barbeque.They smelled so strong and bad that day I had to cut the blooms off and bury them before anyone could see them. I was actually getting sick to my stomach.I might as well of had a couple of rotting cows laying around.Other times I can barely smell anything. I find they do best in half day sun. Full sun seems to stunt them here. Mine bloom every year, even the tiny little corms that get left behind when I move the Mother corm. My mom has been digging them up and dumping the main bunch of corms for years and she always ends up with some anyway.It is easy to miss a tiny corm when removing these guys. Reminds me of horseradish.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Have never dug or moved mine kate, just let them keep multiplying. I had 7-12 last year, can't quite remember. They are in full sun and get huge, had a spathe 36" long. I have gotten real close to take pic, within a few inches and there is an odor, but not rank. The flies do seem to like them as I always have to shoo them away before taking the pic. They are at the end of my sun garden right next to gypsophilia and lots of other flowers and have never over the years and it has been quite a few now, noticed that they "stink". Like I say there is an odor, but nothing to write home about.
Would digging one pup in spring for trade be a good idea, or should they be dug after blooming?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.