last picking of the season

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

just got back from vacation and this was the last of my veggie garden. it was a good year for me compared to the last 2 or 3. this will be my first winter with daves garden and i look forward to learning from all of you.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Is that big long thing in the middle of the table a squash??? I've never seen anything like that before. Definitely doesn't look like a cuke... I just put in my winter garden and am looking forward to having fresh veggies again. I didn't get it in this spring, so I had to go without for the summer :( I had one scraggly green pepper plant that made it through the winter and bore some fruits. The couple of tomatoes I put in pots died from blight before they even got to flowering! I was very disappointed. Hoping to have better luck this time around.

Pioneer, CA

Don't you dread the last "picking" ? I'm still getting tomatoes and zucchini, but the rest is ready for the compost. I did plant some swiss chard and kale though, just can't give up completely. Do you plant winter veggies?
I guess it's time to start planning for next spring. Next year I'm doing the squash you grow, we love it. Buy it at the farmers market, and they tell me it grows great on a trellis, so I'm going to try it. Your yard looks so inviting, it was 93 here today,we could have used your pool.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

butterfly - yes, its a type of italian squash. its just like zuccchini and you can prepare it the same way. it taste the same. its just a lot bigger.

dguimo - here in n.y. i dont plant a winter garden. as far as the pool goes, thats my neighbors. get a big trellis cause the plant grows like crazy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.