Cardinal Climber (Ipomoea multifida) where are the seeds?

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm so excited that my Cardinal Climber FINALLY started blooming for me last week! And I'm realizing that the blooms fall off daily and new ones replace it. That tells me I'd better start watching for seeds.

But I haven't a CLUE when or where to look, let alone what I'm looking FOR. HELP! (lol)

Thumbnail by Cajun2
Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

They make pods similar to morning glories. You will begin to notice swollen green sort of tear drop shaped pods. These will ripen to dry tan brittle pods which eventually will pop open if not picked in time. Let them turn tan and dry on the vine so the seed can mature. Also, birds get into mine, so watch out for that.
The seeds look like a round morning glory black seed.

My Cardinal Vine is really starting to bloom good now that the temperatures have dropped some.
I planted 3 seeds this spring and this picture was taken about 3 weeks ago and it has really taken off these last couple of weeks. It has totally covered my window and is growing up to the gutters and growing just as wide. It has totally covered my trellis that I had and growing out into our walkway coming up to the house and is really govered with blooms. It really took me by surprise the way this has taken off. Don't know what I'll do if it decides to take over the house.

Thumbnail by CoCo
Orrville, OH(Zone 6a)

This is close to topic, but I received some (Ipomoea, I think)moon vine seed pods in a trade and they are still green. How can I be sure they are ripe enough inside to germinate, and how do I get them to dry out? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My neighbor said to cut the pods open and let them dry out.

thanks in advance,

Marilyn/UofAgirl

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Cajun - I am posting a picture of the cypress vine pod which is very similar to the pods you will be looking for....after a bloom flowers and falls off it will start making the pod - when the pod turns brown (as in my picture) it is time to collect it....hope this helps.

Thumbnail by moonlighting

ahhhhh! ty moonlighting! the light has been switched on.
thanks a bunch!
~ Carole

Oh Yippee!! I went out after I read your reply and found the green pods on my vine and they're barely beginning to turn brown. YEA!!

Thanks again for your help and photo!!
That did it for me!

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Glad to help....(Ü)....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.