Recommendations for strawberry & rhubarb varieties

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm looking ahead to next spring, and planning a bed for rhubarb, and digging out my strawberry plants (Allstars) to make room for something that has more taste.

What would y'all recommend? I love the pretty red rhubarbs, but I'm looking for a variety that has great, sweet (relatively-speaking) flavor, whether it is red or green. (And a source of your nominee, if you know where it can be had.)

And for strawberries: I'd like to have a good June-bearing berry with really good flavor. I'm not as concerned with size or shelf-life as I am with having good flavor (the Allstars are big, but pretty watery and bland, IMO. My garden is zone 7a/6b, if that helps.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I like Valentine and Canada Red rhubarbs. Then there is the old all green one which is quite tart but very reliable. I never have success with strawberries so I can't advise you there.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Terry, have you considered Alpine Strawberries (the famous Fraises de Bois' if I spelled it even close to correct)? I just planted a few for a client. They do not put out runners, and although they produce small fruit, they are exceptionally sweet... and bear fruit much of the year.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Tristar strawberries are good flavored, medium size berries, everbearing type. Canada Red gets my vote for rhubarb.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.