baby plants needing homes

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I have some baby puya chilensis and some baby agave attenulatas that are at the moment lining my sunlounge window sills,they were grow from seeds this year, and are at this moment in yogurt pots (to give an idea of size) I'll be needing room for my cuttings soon,is there anybody out there interested in one?

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I would like one but Puja may be hardy for you but they cant stick our winters.

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Ya'll
I'm going to be lazy and not run a search on the plants you are speaking of, please tell me what they are and how could I maybe get one.

Narc/Vicki

Sueone

I'd love to trade for your Puya, are you looking for anything I might have?

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Narc I did a search for you. We need to research plants before deciding that we want one because they may not be suitable in all areas.

One of 168 species, mostly Andean but with a few in the Guayana Highland and Central America. The leaves of this species furnish a fiber used for making fish nets. This genus includes the largest bromeliad, Puya raimondii of the paramos. The family is almost excusively found in the New World. One species (Pitcairnia feliciana) is reported from western Africa, but the record is in doubt. Although probably not classified as succulents, the family does exhibit adaptations to water stress. They are best grown in zones 9-11

Thanks for that Mark, knowledgeable as ever.
I'm not sure that I'd be able to send you one Vicki because of the restrictions on posting to ypour part of the world,they're quite tough on it here,hubby hates having to take my post in case he gets interrogated on whats inside!!....:-)
Baa, send me your addy and I'll get one in the post .
Sure I can't interest you in one Mark, nice indoor pot plant?? :-)

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

Morning
Mark, Thank you for the info!

Sue, I totally understand, we don't want to upset the hubbies or anyone else. I just thought it would be cool to have a plant that was grown right there in Europe.

Thanks for all your quick replies, and I hope you all have a good day :)

Vicki

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

Hi, anything left? Puyas or Agaves?

Yep Mitjo, both if you're interested.

Hi Vicki, sorry about that,I can just about get some seeds through ,if they don't rustle or rattle in the envelope that is!!...

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

That would be cool. Could you tape them in the envelope, or would they stick out?
Vick

Narc, what I meant is that I have been able get packs of seeds into the post ,but they have to be ones that don't make a noise and give the game away , if you see what I mean?
check out my trade list and see if there's anything there that you'd like from an Engish garden.

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

Sue
Gottcha. I will check out your list. Thanks
Vicki

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Hi Sueone, do you have one left of the Puyas or Agaves??
Oh please..love to have one.
Saya

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Hello Sue,

I have been using aluminium foil to wrap seeds before putting them in their individual bags to avoid rattle and shuttle, with great success.

Greetings from Chile in spring,

Ursula

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

I guess customs over here checks everything, Ursala that is a good idea!
Greetings to you from Texas :)

Vicki

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Hi Vicki,

I have sent many seeds to the States and NONE of my packages have ever been confiscated. However, the other way round, it has happened. This year only our authorities confiscated three seed packages that were sent to me (sniffff), but 99% of the seeds sent to me did reach me. It seems I have better luck with plain envelopes than with the fat ones (LOL).

Ursula

Hi Saya, if you're not in the States the mail me your address, but if you are then I won't be able to mail plants out to you,(see above)
good idea Ursula,will try that next time,normally put them in birthday card type envelopes,so they often don't ask whats inside,unless they hear it rattle that is !!....:-)

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

Well I guess I will just have to make a trip to the UK LOL

I'm scared of flying tho, I could take a boat :)

Hey Vicki, you're like me, hubbys desperate to go to the States, I said I'd take the QE2 over, and meet him there!!!...guess he's not so keen on going now ..LOL

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Sue
The Hubby and I just got back from a mini vacation, he drove the 4 hours to and from. ( Lucky Me) :)

Where does your Hubby want to go in the States?

I do ok in an airplane for NO More than 2 and a half hours, anymore than that I would be a nervous wreck.

Take Care :)

Vicki

I don't drive , so he has to do it all.
He'd like to go anywhere in the States really,but especially the places like New York and California.
We go on hols on a cruise (mainly because of my health as I don't have much physical energy) so my bed goes with me in a sense.
Next year I'm desperate to go to Greenland ,which means we have to fly out,ooohhhh...do I go, or don't I?

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

Morning Sue
GO....You might not ever get an opportunity to do it again.

I have never been to either of the states you mentioned, I know the sights would be cool to see.

I have been able to see the Mountains in New Mexico and Colorado. My husband has been to Hawaii and wants to take me, but I just am to chicken to be on a plane that long. I have never really had a burning desire to go anyway. This dissapoints him, be he understands.

I'm sorry to hear you don't have a lot of energy, please take care of yourself :)

Vicki

Hi Sue,

The rhizomes of Irisses will go in the mail today. I hope they'll reach you before you go on your vacation to Greenland..huhhuhu Please mail me when they arrive to see if all went well.

Hi Saya, rhizomes arrived safely this morning, thank you so much, will be potting them up in a minute.
The plants have gone out in the post this morning, ( dispatched hubby with carrier bag, money , and list of instructions!!he was not too chuffed!! ...LOL )Sorry for thr the delay, but this week seemed to be full of hospital visits and birthdays,so they should be with you soon.

Thanks Sue...ooh I'm so glad the rhizomes arrived safe at your place.. I have'nt so much experience with sending plants/rhizomes ..you're the first. I don't mind the delay..had my son's birthday too this week. He has an authistic disorder, so birhdayvisitors are spread over the whole week. It's autumn overhere..rainy outside but cosy and warm inside the house.

It's difficult to know how to pack plants isn't it. I'm never sure, especially with these spikey ones.

Hmmm..I see..never thought about it..how did you manage? I was thinking if I should send them a little moist or better not. Luckely they were not long in the mail :>)

they were in perfect condition,potted up now ready.

Yes...cute babyplants arrived fine here..thanks so very much Sue !!

Glad they arrived safely,you never know with the post these days.

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

I got the plants today!
Thank you very much! They look great.

great mitjo,that didn't take long,hope they do o.k. for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.