Gerber Daisy???

Beverly Hills, CA(Zone 10a)

Does anyone grow these? I always buy them in the market... but would love to grow them. Thanks

Markham, ON(Zone 5a)

Gerbers are actually hardy outdoors in places you might not expect them to be.

Hello, I am from Toronto (Zone 5b) and have these plants outdoors near the house and in the late fall, cover them with a bag of leaves. (Put that raking to use ! :)

In the spring, as soon as the snow has gone, I take off the bags.

These little guys come back year after year and are bigger and brighter

I keep trying to push the zone and am quite successful. The bag of leaves does the trick on not only these but the Gingers and the Musella (Banana). Give this a try on some of your favourite plants that you have been told won't survive your zone, you may be surprised.

enjoy and be well ;)

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

Great Tip! This is probably a dumb question, but do you leave the bag on?

LimeyLisa Kay

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

LimeyLisa, I don't know what Illiya does, but I just cover with a heavy layer of mulch or leaves (no bag). But I am in a warmer zone and have had gerbers return with no mulching.

Back2back - Gerbers should be fertilized to keep those beautiful blooms coming back. Also, I let them dry out before watering, as they are prone to root rot if kept too wet. They can be fairly expensive to buy as plants, but are easily started from seed.

Markham, ON(Zone 5a)

Regarding te question of my leaving the bag of leaves on the Gerbers:

Yes, from fall until the snow has gone. I sometimes go out in the snow and check on the plants covered by "Leaf Bag Blankets" and if possible shovel some more snow on top.

Markham, ON(Zone 5a)

Nathyln, in Texas, I am in Toronto and there is a huge difference betwen Zone 5a and Zone 7a.

I dream about being able to garden in a Zone 7 climate. My prayer each winter is that the Zone 6, 7 and 8 plants that I have planted and am experimenting with will survive. The one thing that has helped is the bags of leaves placed over the plants.

I agree that the Gerbers are expensve and thanks for the tip on starting them from seed.

Take care and be well :)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Illiya, do you have consistent snow cover in the winter? Here the snow cover can be very erratic and temps can get in the -20s or as warm as 70. I am wondering if the bag trick would work with such temperature fluctuation. What do you think? I sure wouldn't have anything to lose since I have never successfully wintered them over inside. I do love them and they are so expensive. I also heard they take a long time to flower from seed - like 2 years maybe? Anybody know?

Markham, ON(Zone 5a)

Dear N0H2O,

My Gerbers are planted in the bed nearest to the house which loses it's snow covering from time to time, either by refelection from the brick or heat loss through the walls.

I have never tried them in the open garden. I suspect they will not survive in my Zone. Why not experioment with one or two plants near the house covered with the bag of leaves, what have you got to lose ?

I love pushing the Zone and trying to see if Zone 7 plants will grow in 5a which is a long stretch and they do most of the time. if they don't I try again in a different location or use Rose cones full of mulch. I have successfully grown plants that are hardy in Zone 8 (Vancouver) in North Toronto.

I guess Gerbers are so expensive because as you say they take two years from seed. How about propagation from cuttings, does any one have an opinion ?

Be Well :)

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Between way below zero the winds that blow thru here,the heavy snow cover & early thaws, I have trouble keeping some Zone 5 plants alive! On the other hand, I have cannas next to the basement wall that come back every year, Gladiolas and even snapdragons that survive if mulched.

Iowa weather is a challenge, but it keeps the lightweights out! LOL

Helena, AL(Zone 7b)

Every year I buy one or two gerber daisy's and every year I kill them . WHAT is you secret???

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Mine died too so I dont buy them any more. I think winter damp gets them while on Canada under the snow is dry

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Ithought what you call a Gerber, I call a Gerbea . are the one and the same?

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Gerbera/Gerbs is right or in South African where they are from they are Barberton Daisies. The latin names is G jamesonii.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I always think of Gerber baby food when I see the name...

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Anyone want any seeds???

Tiffin, OH(Zone 6a)

Marclay, I would love some seeds. Is there anything you need in return? If not what would postage be? I will send. Will Email you with address,Thanks, MW

Beverly Hills, CA(Zone 10a)

Me, me, me, Please!!!!!
Bambi

Helena, AL(Zone 7b)

I think they are the same, I just can't type, or spell! I kill beautiful plants from the nursery, I can imagine what I would do to a seed!

Dallas, NC(Zone 8a)

I have a lot of gerbea myself but am at a lose as to what to do with them through the winter,I got them for my nursery for a song and they are still in the pots.but blooming great, The soil they pot them in are not the best in the world because it hold water and causes root rot.Should i take them out of the pots and cover with plenty of mulch? Thanks,Mavis

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

marclay, I would like to have some seed if you have any left to trade. Let me know what I can send you or I can send my list.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

back2back, In Southern California, if you plant it, it will grow. I have had to pull things like dusty millers because the turned into giant bushes that threatened to take over the flower bed.

You can pick them up pretty reasonably. Keep them fed and they will do well for you. You will have a beautiful bank. Plant some evolulous with them for blue. They bloom year round here.

Glen Arm, MD(Zone 7a)

We start our Gerbers around Thanksgiving along with lisianthus. Start blooming around April for us.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Good information, Jake. I thought they took 18 months or more from seed to bloom. 5 months is definitely an improvement. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.