A new Geranium cultivar - I hope

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I found a white flowered Geranium versicolor today. How exciting a find I'm not sure.

They are supposed to look like this

Thumbnail by mark

but the one I found looks like this

Thumbnail by mark

and from slightly different angle

Thumbnail by mark

and finally the leaf for verification.

I dont grow any Geranium x oxonianum so it could be one of them.

Thumbnail by mark
Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

How do you check Mark if it is a new one? I love the markings on the leaf. Will we be seeing a new variety named 'Iris eyes' or some other such romantic nanme?

names can be checked here http://www.hardygeraniums.com/register_of_cultivar_names.htm

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

So I assume that you would have to trawl through all the pics of similar plants to see if that one is already there?
Is it one that you crossed, and know both parents, or is it a chance seedling?

It seems to be a white seedlings as the white variety 'Snow White' was never bought. There are official guidelines to follow before a plant can be named

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I have Versicolor Snow White Mark and it is a prolific seeder. Is there any chance it came in on one of the plants that I gave you?

It was in a garden in southern Ireland.

Unfortunately only one plant is still alive from the batch that we swapped.But thats the gamble we take

only one!! I gave you quite a few what on earth did you do to them?? which one survived btw?

I dont know what happened, honest. The sole survivor is a sylvaticum that was labelled 'Pastel _ _ _ _?'

Pastel clouds. (G Sylvaticum X G Clarkei Kashmir White)I bet it was because it wasnt labelled Pratense ;) all the others dont get such devoted attention!! LOL

The mount stewert that you gave me didnt survive the winter but the dounble form pratense you gave me has looked really good this year.

you never know.

I'll be repotting all my plants during the coming months -I've planned anyway- to give them a better mix. It will be mainly bought heat treated top soil and grit and top dressed with an inch or two of grit/river sand. This should make them happier

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Mark, just out of curiosity......why don't you grow Ger. x Oxianums??? Elaine

way too many with most looking very alike ie you need a RHS colouyr chart to decide on the colour of the petals.

I do have a few that are different - a brown mottled leaved variety 'Katerine Adele' or variegated the leaved 'Spring Fling' and a new variety with white flowers being trialled by me and a few others.

I grow many Oxonianums but I will be considerably wittling them down over the next few months. I will still probably keep a small amount of each but I grow far too much of each. Mark is right there are too many that are similar. I will concentrate on growing those that are more striking. I too am trialling 2 new varieties both based on the walters gift strain but with very different flowers.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

did ot know this...thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.