Hurricane Isabel

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Lisa started a thrtead to watch Isabel, but many people didn't recognize it by the title, hence another thread. This morning's map shows the eye may come on land in Tidewater Virginia, and climb right up the Chesapeake Bay to Baltimore.

To those in the direct path of Isabel: I don't "know" many of you, but here are a few: Carol7, Jody, ginlyn, sgtdot. Take every precaution, and know our hopes and prayers are with you.

Mostof us in SC, NC, VA and MD will be affected even if not in the path of the eye. Button up well, stock up on candles and drinking water...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT13/refresh/AL1303W5+GIF/120258W5.gif

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Darius, knowing first hand what a category 4 or 5 hurricane can bring sends shivers down my back. It is a horrible thing to know a monster like that is breathing at the back door. This one will surely bring devastation of catastrophic proportions. I pray that everyone in her path will be safe.

Harford County, MD(Zone 6b)

Darius, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I haven't watched any weather today and was surprised to see it may be heading our direction. We bought a small generator the other day, just hope we don't have to use it.
I had seen Lisa's post, but at the time didn't know what direction it might end up taking.I hope everyone takes precautions.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2003 10:13 AM

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the thoughts Darius!!!

Have been watching it closely, right now they are showing the direct path right to us :( Since we are right on the bay I'm really hoping it vears off to the ocean and keeps on going... will be watching closely all week as it gets closer. Tried out the generator today to make sure it's in good working condition.

If it does indeed come this way poor DH will have to go to VA coast and stay on the boat and I'll have to tend the house alone :( He will be on a little tip of land on the ocean and the bay only 10 miles the other side.

It looks like it WILL hit the east coast somewhere so darius and everyone else on the east coast keep watching. I think no matter what, even it turns, somebodys going to get hit by it.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

These can be so dangerous.....my advice to anyone is if it is a 4 or 5...EVACUATE!

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

All my family is in Suffolk VA in the path. My son lives alone in my house there. I'm worried about them & hope & pray it turns. I'd rather have it here than there. At least we can leave & he doesn't even have a car or anyone to help him. Keep him & the others in your prayers.

Coupland, TX(Zone 8a)

Sugar
Please let the authorities know his situation, they can get him out and to a shelter, He as all the rest of you are in my prayers.
Be safe.
Vicki/Narc

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

My prayers are with you all. We'll be watching. I wish that there was something we could do but I guess we have to leave that to a higher power then us all.
God bless and keep you safe
Jan

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Watching...And praying for you guys.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I am with Weeds.. LEAVE if it is 4 or 5.. I went throught under Hurricane Andrew!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I hope not hit North Carolina because of my DS live there also 2 SIL and the family and neice and nephew.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I lived through Hurricane Andrew (have a T-shirt with that on it (grin). Lost half my roof to Avacado trees trying to get in out of the storm, my daughter lost all of her roof and her garage. The storm is BAD, but goes by in a matter of hours. The aftermath is VERY BAD, and lasts months. No power or water for a month, no phone for 3 months.
TO ALL IN ISABEL'S PATH: Think seriously about the aftermath! Prepare as if you are going to be wilderness camping for a long period and you should be O.K. Remembeer to turn off the water going into your hot water heater, that's 30 to 50 gallons stored there, and buy LOT'S of Peanut Butter, Jelly and Vienna Sausage!!
Patricia

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

praying for you all. take no chances.

Burlington, NC(Zone 7b)

I'd appreciate your prayers too. Some of you may know that my family homeplaces and roots are in the projected path of Isabel's landfall at Cape Lookout, NC area. We are watching closely and praying for a cold front to move this storm back off to sea.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

praying for everyone

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

I've been watching this one for a while, and while I'm glad it's not coming for us I'm worried about those in it's path. We know what to expect, what to do, maybe some don't.

My advice ... If you are in the possible projected path of the storm make arraignments today for where you will stay if/when you evacuate. Call your aunt or your cousin or make a reservation. Do it today. You can always cancel if it turns out not to be necessary. Once the evacuation starts, all bets are off and you could end up driving from motel to motel in some strange place with no hope of getting a room. Make sure you get far enough away from the coast. This storm seems very powerful (look at the eye on that thing!!) and may not die back as early as expected.

Go NOW and fill up all the vehicles with gas. Keep them full until this has passed. You don't want to get caught in the line of panicked evacuees trying to get gas at the last minute.

Take with you the things that cannot be replaced. Records, policies, important papers, financial documents, photos, gramma's jewelry, baby books ... After Andrew I never heard anyone say "I should have taken my TV" but a lot of people lameted the loss of those small personal items that can never be replaced. Get as much of that as you can together now, so that if an evacuation does happen you can just load it up. And get cash, you will need cash. If you have camping equipment, take it, too. You may need it when the storm is over, and if you leave it, it may be gone forever.

If you are going to board up, make sure you have the lumber NOW. That is one thing that you may regret buying if the storm doesn't hit, but believe me when I tell you it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

If I were in the possible path of this storm, these are the things I would be doing now. I have my boards ready at this time of year on general principles.

Praying for all who may be effected ....

Cheri'

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Excellent advice SUNDRY. Living through Andrew in Miami was bad enough, but this monster has me very concerned about my Nags Head cousins. Their rule of thumb for evacuation is to go if the wind is 100 MPH or more. I pray they have already moved out of harm's way. Let me add one thing. There are so many things that are precious to us that can't fit into a car or van with family and pets. Don't take time to sort, just get super tough plastic yard debris bags, throw everything into them and seal the tops with duct tape. Put them as high up as you can in an inner closet and brace the closet door. My daughter did this, and even after the windows and roof went she saved many precious things. My prayers are with all in harms way.
Patricia

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Cheri' that is really good advise. Sure helps to plan ahead. We'll be praying also.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Patricia, that's a good idea, too. Here, all valuables that are not coming with go into the central hallway, which is the most protected area of the house. Rubbermaid containers work good, too, but those super heavy duty bags would be a lot better than nothing.

Take pictures of everything before you pack it up, for possible insurance purposes. Then take pics to show that you took steps to protect your stuff. Take the film with you, you don't need to get it developed unless ... well unless you need to.

Fill the freezer with jugs of water. This serves two purposes - keeps the stuff in the freezer frozen longer after the electricity goes out and provides drinking water during the aftermath. Crank your freezer up to it's coldest setting before leaving.

Before you come home, stock up on canned goods, but don't get ridiculous with it. Get a manual can opener. Get charcoal, and get matches and lighters. This will be in case your house and stuff is ok, but the electricity is out for a while. You will want to be able to cook as much of the stuff in the freezer as possible. You would be surprised what you are willing to give for a box of matches when the electricity has been out for a while ...

Generators are great, but they run on fuel, which may not be available, and that isn't something you can really stock up. Soooooo, get matches, get charcoal and get dry ice before you come home. While you are getting stuff to bring home, get as much water as you can. There is never enough water during a disaster.

These are things you don't think about until you live it. You think the worst case scenario is everything being gone, so anything less than that is do-able. It's best to be prepared for it, tho. After Andrew, the electricity was out for a while, but the gas was still on. We had the only gas stove on the block, but with an electric starter. Matches quickly became an issue. I can still see the little girl from next door standing there with a pot of Spaghettios, displaying the match she had brought to light the stove. LOL

Cheri'

All the suggestions above are great, and worth doing. I would add, Do not wait until 12 hours before the storm hits if you are going to evacuate! The roads will be clogged and moving at a snail's pace.

I have lived through many hurricanes in my lifetime, but none with winds over 120 MPH. I'd hate to be in Isabel's path.

I am now aware of probabilities to the point that I stay prepared as best as I can afford for any potential disaster. During the non-panic times, I have acquired a solar battery charger (and batteries!), a wind-up radio, a good hiking-style water filter unit that uses a ceramic filter (and an extra filter, good for 100-150 gals.), and a backpack camp stove. Plus other small necessary items like the space-age survival blankets that fit in the glove box.

Also, I keep 2 backpacks packed all the time with a change of dry clothing in plastic bags, a wool blanket wrapped in a bag (wool is warm even wet), quick nourishing food bars, waterproofed matches, and the like.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Carol7 is in Surry County too!! She and hubbie have a good head on their shoulders so I'm sure they will move out of harm's way, especially with all their pets. At least, I hope to God they do!! Having lived on the Tidewater I know all the implications that such a storm can bring. There are just two roads to safety from Hampton and Newport News and and they would never accomodate a mass evacuation. People really need to start moving now and I mean it. I think we might get some of the wind and possibly some storms but nothing like head on impact. These folks are in my prayers. God help them!!

Margaret, I've talked to Carol, and she is strongly considering taking the 4 dogs and the rabbit and heading to a campground in the Shenandoah Valley, as motels probably won't take dogs, or at least not 4. Adam works for the power company, so will be working 20 hour days.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Here's some more things to think about.

A supply of non-perishable packaged or canned food and two (2) manual - can openers, hand operated (non-electric).

Towels, toilet paper and bathroom items

A first aid kit and prescription medications, and a first aid manual and package of examination gloves.

Additional family items include: bandages, antiseptic, tape, compresses, aspirin and non-aspirin pain reliever, anti-diarrhea medication, antacid, tampons, Syrup of Ipecac (used to induce vomiting if advised by the Poison Control Center).

Two large coolers (one to keep food; one to go get ice).
An extra pair of glasses, camera and film.

Several boxes of candles and matches sealed in plastic bags.

Credit cards and cash. ATM's may not be working.

An extra set of car keys. Try them out, too.

A list of current family physicians and current prescription medications. Do you have enough on hand for two weeks... should they be refilled now...!

A list of important family health information; the style and serial number of medical devices, such as pacemakers. Review the Special Needs Section for special items for infants, elderly, or disabled family members.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I hope you have all on your list Dea as it looks like we need to batten down the hatches here also. I believe I will bring in the rest of my potted plants and all else that could become a potential flying object.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

All on hand and a large generator also - holler if you need help!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Candee and Dea I was only thinking about you this afternoon since we don't know where this thing is going to strike.

darius I'm glad you spoke with Carol. We also used to come to the Charlottesville area when we were threatened and the motels allowed us three cats.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well, Tasha & Mike just back last eve from their honeymoon in Mexico and they live in Salisbury, guess the honeymoon is over !!!

Thanks Dea, but we are over that mountain, holler if you need help we can all go to the cabin! You know, bow season is in today LOL!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Mercy! Salisbury!! And bow season - LOL; my brothers have made Cabelas lots of $$$ ! Well, Lowes and Home Depot are now officially out of generators, plywood. My Corp HQ just sent a broadcast to delay all "business" until Monday as the region I "do" is from PA to SC. About half of my staff lives on the coast and even though this is now a Cat 3 Hurricane, it can gain strength and still do lots of damage. Happy your kiddies are home so they can button up!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

We should have an Emergency Contact system set up for our hurrican-path friends. Is someone in contact with each of these folks? I know Darius has Carol's phone number...Anyone else have a buddy system going?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Good idea Kimberly! I haven't checked in yet with JSS or Shirley1md. How could we start a help needed thread?? Any ideas?

I think an Emergency Contact list of some sort is a good idea. Many folks in Isabel's path now have cell phones (incl. free long distance, not that anyone cares much about cost in an emergency). Maybe have a couple of volunteers who are easily reachable who would be contact persons, and report here on a new thread?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

darius - I'll do it as long as everyone agrees that this is an emergency # and not to just chat. I'll start an emergency Isabel phone in thread.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm always here if I can help by being a contact or in any way at all.

Dea, how will we get your number to whomever needs to call, without exposing you here unnecessarily?

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Well Dea and Candee I hope ya'll didn't wait and got what ever you needed already.

Check out this part of an article on the comcast homepage:

Stevens Hardware in Annapolis, Md., ran out of batteries, flashlights, lamp oil, tape, camping lamps, can openers, plastic sheeting and candles before noon Monday, said manager Mike Stevens.

"A lot of people are calling for generators. I don't think there's a generator in Annapolis to be bought," Stevens said.

Officials in Baltimore canceled leave for staffers in the police, fire, transportation and public works departments.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm home most of the time and am reacheable. If I'm not home, we have an answering machine and I check it. I'm also willing to be a contact point for those who want to keep in touch with DG - e-mail me your phone number if you'd like to be my emergency buddy.

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Hopefully this thing will downgrade one more notch before it hits land.

Being in inland PA, we will probably just get alot of rain and some high winds, but certainly not like those closer to the coast will get. I remember when Hugo went through PA it blew so hard that the hanging baskets of Impatiens on my porch were SIDEWAYS.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

The last I heard it was downgraded to category 3.

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Just talked to Carol7 she said she was trying not to panic. She can't decide what to do, go or stay. She said she would wait untill Wed and see what it looked like them. I told her not to wait too late to leave.

Will be praying for all the Isabel's path.

Please let me know if I can do anything for anyone.

Ruth

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Bless her heart, that's got to be heartwrenching. If she feels a tug to go, she probably should. How scary.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.