Yucca plant Propogation

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

I am so proud of myself today that I can hardly stand it and I know only someone who has grown things from seed can appreciate this. I have been trying for approximately 7 months to propogate some yucca seeds that I had found at the cemetary this spring (we were putting in new plants for my moms gravesite when I spotted this huge bush that still had seed pods hanging all over it) I had tried 2 different methods, before deciding to just put them in a new bed that I had made and ignore them for the next 2 years. Yesterday I realized that on 2 of my seeds I have growth, and of course being convinced it was probably a weed I had to dig down far enough to be sure. I am also sure it will take it a long time to develop into a plant, but since I am so new to seed saving and propogation I am so excited I can hardly stand it.

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

Congratulations! You know, when that yucca gets big enough, you can separate the "babies" andmake new plants!

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

No I didn't know that but thanks for letting me know. I have about 50 of those seeds in the ground if even half of them sprout I will be up to my ears in yucca's.
Thanks for tips.
Alice

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

You friends will appreciate recieving the new babies - those yucca are expensive in the nurseries. Good luck with all 50 !

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

I know it, I have no idea how long it will take them to mature growing them from seed, but here too they are expensive to buy and I have just never been able to make myself buy one expensive plant when I can buy 3 or 4 small ones. I guess we gardeners all have our little quirks (haha) I saw one more up enough where I could see it today which now makes 3.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Shoot, where I used to live...they were at the end of my driveway...I had to get a truck to pull them up...with chains even, then they STILL came ^...Cant kill them suckers ya know? But they do have pretty blooms eh??? lol

Nice job Alice!!!!! :-D ((((Aknapp))))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.