Seeds from Cardinal Flower??

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

How do I collect and plant the seeds from my red cardinal flower?

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

wait till seed pods turn brown.
collect.

your welcome!
Drew

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I got a picture this afternoon. The pods swell after the flowers fade.... and the seeds will be inside the pods. Wait intil the pod turns brown and dry to collect them. I just crushed the little pods to get the seeds out. Seeds are teenie-weenie ... almost dust-like.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

thanks to both!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

I love them, too and was very happy with their performance this year--so I'm trying seed collection as well. let me know of your success. Dawn

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

Poppysue,

I've collected tons of it's pots for the last three years,but only a few have seeds every year.
So I have come to think that this type of Lobelia bears very few seeds.

I do like to know if it is owing to the climate that it bears only a few seeds here.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

TomTom, maybe it's because your plants are a hybrid variety of L.cardinalis? My plants came from seed that I collected off wild plants that grow along a brook near here. Some of the pods had tipped over and were actually submerged in the water. There was still plenty of seed in the pods after I dried them all out. The seed germinated fine that winter too. The wild Lobelia probably produces more seeds than nursery grown varieties.

OSAKA, Japan(Zone 9b)

poppysue,

Thank you very much for your valuable info.
I grow Lobelia x gerardii this year. The seed were supplied by RHSJ , probably collected at the Wisley Garden ,UK.
This has hardly produced seeds so far.

My L.cardinalis were grown from the store- bought seeds,
so they must have been hybrids as you mention.

We have wild Lobelia ALobelia sessilifoliaAin Japan.
It may produce enough seeds .

Hi, I'm looking to propogate from existing native cardinal flowers I have. I've collected the seed - what should I do next?? much appreciated...lisanorah

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.