getting ready to de-clump

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

My Oregon Skies iris are a huge, huge clump on the top of the ground and I don't know if they have ever been divided.
Here is a pic of what they look like.

How on earth do I do this without killing them and exactly what should I do? I know this probably has been answered a million times before but here I am asking again.

Bear with me - your advice is needed. Or - someone wanna come and show me how? LOL!

This is what the corms look like

Thumbnail by Janiejoy
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

just get a diggin fork or a nice shovel and dig up the whole clumps., lifting the roots about 6-8in deep at least. I would loosen around them lifting them as i go along!
They can be cut or broke apart after you shake the dirt off., or just plant them in clumps somewhere!
you can send some here if they want to leave home! ;)

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

Janie Will you have any of these to trade??

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

Shirley, I am sure if I can get to this job, I will have some for trade, but I'm not sure how many I will be able to separate. I may be thinking too ambitiously, but I'd like to dig up this whole bed, amend it, move the stuff out that is NOT iris, replant the iris with room to spread, move some of the iris to a new bed I'm creating in the back yard (all purples and whites and blues), plant some other intereting stuff... but we'll see what happens... if I don't get the synvisc shots I doubt if I'll be able to do it.

If I can figure out how to make a trade list I'll try and post it there since there are a few things I'm hoping to add... I have these big beds now and my temptation is to fill them with iris but that does not give me a cottage garden effect like I want... so I have to discipline myself but I really love iris.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Janie, here's a link that explains dividing http://www.diynet.com/DIY/article/0,2058,9386,00.html

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

If you shake the dirt off they'll be easier to divide. I personally prefer to break them rather than to cut them. I hate dipping the knife in alcohol, and I'm always afraid I'm going to cut ME instead.

They're tough guys, just put pressure where the rhizomes cross over the other rhizomes. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll take a pic of a couple of my "clumps" LOL

Don't feel bad at all, They multiply like rabbits, and it seems you no sooner separate them, then it has to be done again!! If you want to trade some let me know!

Melissa

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

Janiejoy - we're almost neighbors - I live in Green. Used to live on North Hill. Anway, another tip about dividing your iris - I always cut the foliage down to about 3" in a fan shape. That way they work on making strong roots instead of maintaining foliage. Remember to plant them just at ground level - no deeper or they won't bloom. I check my new divisions during the winter to be sure they have not heaved. I just read where it is o.k. to lightly mulch them in our zone, but wait until the ground freezes.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, HoneyGirl...

I go past your town every Sunday on my way to church! We drive down Arlington to get to Massillon...

Hi neighbor!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

My business partner left a clump out by the alley all winter. Darn things sprouted & bloomed when he planted them in the spring. Irises are TOUGH!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.