Picotee MG

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

These seeds were supposed to be double red picotee, some of the blooms are single, some double, but the color sure doesn't look red to me! they open purple in the morning then change to this blue later, do you think I may have mixed up my blues and reds? the blues haven't bloomed yet so I can't compare them

Thumbnail by Carena
Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I like the way they change

Thumbnail by Carena
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know....but seems reasonable to assume...It does have a red throat....still I love the color of all the ones you posted.......If you have any seeds LMK......I love these beauties... :o)

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

will do!

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

now it's overcast, and they've changed again, it's weird!!

Thumbnail by Carena
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

You really don't notice the points on the petals until you enlarge.......It is so pretty I didn't know they came in doubles too. .....Ohhhhh can't wait to get some going in the spring.........oh my goodness.. :oD

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I have lots of buds so I'll have seeds for you. They are a little different than regular MGs, they are only about three feet tall, they like fertilizer, and the flowers stay open most of the day. I have them in a 2 gallon pot, they aren't strong twiners, they would be perfect in a hanging planter!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I have the same ones and they stay along till my return from office in the evening. By that time, it is almost pinkish. In the afternoons, it is purple. It is one of my favourites now. It does not grow tall, the vine is thin and does not seem to branch out too much.

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Carena - I could look at this flower all day......It is beautiful!!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Any more blooms on this one, any more pictures?
Hope so........... :o)
Dee

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

yes, I'll take some pics for you when I get home from work tonight. it's blooming like crazy, but I'm so frustrated because it isn't setting seed!! after the blooms fade, instead of forming a seed pod, the buds turn yellow and fall off..I'm not sure why, maybe someone has some ideas on how to get it to behave..

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Maybe it needs to be pollinated..??..

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I've been hand pollinating as many as I can, I didn't get home til after dark last night, had to work OT...so I didn't get a chance to take more pics yet

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

Everything I've read about these "doubles" says that singles and doubles come from the same vine. This is the blue - so it'll be interesting to see if the other blooms for you and is red. My reds didn't make it this year (first year I tried them) and my blues are kicking along but no blooms yet ... but everything is a little behind this year, so we'll see!

:o) Judith

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Carena aka "The Pollinator"!...lol...

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL, I'm determined, that's for sure!! my red finally bloomed, I've had a few flowers so far, but they took all summer to get going, these sure are different from other MGs, they only get about 3 or 4 feet tall, and don't twine very well, I've attempted to train them to climb, but most of the vines don't want to hang on, next year I'm going to plant them in a hanging basket! they like fertilizer, too!

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Hanging basket sounds like good idea - I have never seen a MG in one, it ought to be pretty tho considering it doesn't want to twine...

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I grew mine in a hanging basket this year, but I was disappointed in the whole thing. Not a lot of blooms and periods of yellow leaves. Most of the blooms were not double, but still pretty. I'm going to try again next year, but it will have to show me more than it did this year. There are so many others out there that will out perform this one. I did find about two dozen seed on it before frost, but nothing like most MG's do for us.

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

here's another picture, some are singles, some doubles. I did have my tags mixed up, this is the blue

This message was edited Oct 11, 2003 11:16 AM

Thumbnail by Carena
Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Here's the whole pot, please excuse the messy yard, I'm in the middle of tearing out all the annuals to get ready for winter

Thumbnail by Carena
Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

here's the red, It has only had about 5 blooms all summer, but I didn't fertilize it as much as the other pot, and it was in part shade most of the time, so I'm taking the blame.

Thumbnail by Carena
Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

close up of the red

Thumbnail by Carena
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Carena, looks like the blue did really well of you this year. Glad to see the photos......I like both of the MG's they are different........thanks for takeing the time to share them with us......... :o)
Dee

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

The red is very pretty too!.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.