Hibicus Seeds

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I have a bunch of pods on my hibiscus.... one of the pods was dried and cracked open... it has seeds in it, WHAT do I do with them? LOL

I sprinkled these on the ground... sounded like a good choice to me. I'm so totally ignorant about Seeds unless I've bought them.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

If you just sprinkled all of them the birds and other critters may get them!! I suggeat that you save them til early spring, them press them in lightly tilled soil or a pot, they transplant easily.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm going to suggest you give them a bit of time in the freezer too. Critters like to eat them from the inside out. You won't know you have them until it's too late. Put them in a zip loc baggie. :)

Got it, thank you!

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Azalea I have a few hybiscus bushes with blooms and their still going strong...can you tell me where and how to get the seeds from them please?

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

After the blooms fall off, they should form cones about an inch across, when they turn brown it is time to pick them. If you have lots of them, you may want to pop them off as soon as they start to form so your bush will keep blooming.

I'm assuming you are talking about the hardy variety - like the Mallow types, I have never seen pods on the tropical ones. I have rooted cuttings of those.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Azalea...sad to say I wish I were talking about the Mallow types...I have the tropical ones...which are pretty but the Mallow types like I've seen are beautiful. Boy I'm learning lol...now I need some Mallow hybiscus's lol

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have seeds for the dinner plate size flowers, hardy ones. They will be mixed-white with dark eye, pale pink with dark eye, pale pink with no eye, swirled pink with dark eye and dark pink with dark eye. My all white and all red have not made seeds.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Annabelle - I just noticed you are from GA!! You need to plan to come to our fall swap, Oct 18th at High Falls!! Several of us are coming Friday the 17th and will stay til Sunday abut noon.

I have a dark wine colored one (lots of seeds), and one called Bubble Gum that is light pk with a red eye - it blooms well, but all the seeds pods have dropped of this year.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Annabelle,
I have seeds from the Halbred-leaved Rose Mallow..It has a pretty medium pink hibiscus bloom.. They are also hardy and grow so easy from seed..E-mail me if you are interested..
Larkie

I also have a few seeds from the hardy "Texas Star" hibiscus..

This message was edited Sep 14, 2003 6:32 PM

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Look who all is coming to the Fall Round-up in GA!!

http://davesgarden.com/t/385929/

I have plenty of seed from a white one with a red eye. I'd love to trade for some I don't have! Would also do for SASE too. Let me know!
Melissa

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Azalea, can I trade you something for the wine ones?

Larkie, can I trade you for the Texas Star??

Melissa, do you want any I have? I have not mixed the seeds yet, but the plants may have crossed.

Badseed,
PROBABLY! I'll drop you an email, and hopefully I can get down there within the next week or so!

Melissa

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I will be happy to trade or do sase for the white/red eye and the pink/red eye, and the pk Swirl - email me.

I only have seeds for the wine colored ones - they are not really dinner plate size, but get 6-7" across.

Thumbnail by Azalea
Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I have 'Texas Star White' seeds, if anyone would like some for a SASE. Just let me know.
http://www.cp4.hctx.net/mercer/inbloom/july/mp14jly2lg.htm
:~)

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Smockette,
I would love to get the white Texas star. Email me your address and postage needed. Thanks for the most kind offer :-)
JulieAnne

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Azalea buddy! I would love to sase the white/red eye and the pink swirl to ya. Email your addy and let me know the postage. Thanks hon!!!

JulieAnne

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Annabellegabby,
You have mail!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow, I just have to have some white Texas Star!!! Didn't know they came in different colors.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2003 1:34 PM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

The fact that they have no color is very interesting to me, considering how most are such vibrant colors. But the most interesting point is that they look so smooth in the middle that they almost look like plastic in the center. I just love them!!!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Azalea, you have mail!!
:~)

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

LOL - so do you!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oooh! Ooooh! White??? Smockette, E racing to your inbox. LOL One for you tooooooo Azalea. :) vrrooooom vrrrooooom

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Azalea...
Youre a genius ...got have mail :-)

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Got mail Larkie!!! Thank you hon, I really do appreciate your sharing...Now

Can someone get me started on what prep needs to be done to get my seeds going? lol Do I need to soak them? Im only plant 3 of them and keeping some in the freezer for spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.