Propagate Salvia guaranitica from cuttings?

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

This year I have grown salvia guaranitica as an annual & have been pleased with it. I would like to try propagating it from cuttings? Can someone please tell me if this can be done? Would it be similar to penstemon? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Hummernut is probably the one who can help, but I'll try. I take semiripe stems cut below a node and root in potting soil. Take more than you need because not all will root. If you can find a little sideshoot without buds, those work too.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Thanks Calalily, I'm going to give it a shot. The other day I was looking for a sideshoot without buds & I couldn't find any. Going to give it another look today. I will also take some semiripe stems too.

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8a)

The best way to propagate it would be to dig it up before you get a hard freeze and place in an over-sized pot for the winter. Keep it somewhere that does not freeze, keep the soil damp, but not water logged. It will send out runners that will develop new plants along the outer edge of the pot. Generally one plants will develope into 5 - 10 new plants. I have had very little success trying to root cuttings. Oh, if left outside, do not break the old growth off, as the stem is hollow, and you do not want water to get in it or you can cause the roots to rot.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

H_N thanks a lot. I will dig up a couple of plants & pot them up & put in the basement for the winter.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

broots, just my 2 cents - I have had great luck rooting this plant and hummer_nut is right, too, it spreads like crazy. It is perennial in my zone. Incidentally, it is the favorite plant of the hummingbirds and bees in my garden. Brenda

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Hi plantnutz. Thanks for your info. I took a couple of cuttings on the weekend & put them in the Lee Valley propagation cells, figured what have I got to lose. I am going to dig up a couple of plants & pot them up for the winter. It can send out as many runners as it wants & that's fine with me. This was my first year growing salvia guaranitica & I just love it. Of course it is an annual for me. Salvia Lady in Red was always #1 on the hummers list in my garden, but that changed this year when they saw Black & Blue. They couldn't leave it alone.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Hello Plantnutz from Georgia!!! I am too...Harlem, GA here :-) I gathered little black seeds from the inside of my salvia and just wanted to experiment and kept some seeds to sow for spring, but they are doing quite well...thank you for teaching another way of propagating them. :-)

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi Annabellegabby,

Good to see you here!!
Plantnutz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.