sunflower seeds still viable?

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

this was my first yr. growing sunflowers and we had a lot of wind and rain. most broke and fell over so my hubby cut them down. they were finished blooming. i saved the heads and have them drying on my patio. when will they be ready to store for next yr. or are they still good since they were cut down before they were dried completely??

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I would take a few and do a viability test. You take say 20 and spread them on a papertowel, roll the papertowel up, put it in a jar with a lid that has holes cut in it for ventilation or don't worry about the lid. Add enough water to wet the papertowel. You can wet the papertowel before you put in a jar if you like so the seeds don't fall out. If at least 85% of them germinate, then they should be alright :)

I saw this on TV the other day so I mentioned this method here. I'm sure someone else may have another suggestion or answer for you :)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

don,t know how many sun flowers you want to grow or how many types but seeds that make plants that don't seem to blow over can come from the bird food seed . I spent lots of time starting and transplanting several tupes of sunflowers only to be shown up by my sons suggestion to plant black oil sunflower seed from the bag from walmart germanation was high and produced 5 foot flowers even though we planted them a month late several came up as volenteers and wrer a nice surprise.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for everyones help and as soon as I have a day off work Im going to try this. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.