I love MG's!!

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

here's my MG arch. behind it is an 8' x 20' wall of MG vines which I planted to block my neighbors cruddy carport

Thumbnail by Carena
Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

lots of colors!

Thumbnail by Carena
Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

talk about a stunning photo!!!! Wow, your camera is good

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

yummy red

Thumbnail by Carena
Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

pinkies too!

Thumbnail by Carena
Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

this is why I'm late for work every day, they are so pretty I can't stop looking at them

Thumbnail by Carena
Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I can't believe the colors in your photos!!!!!! I'm just in awe with my jaw on the floor........lol

Carena, I love the arch and your flowers are stunning.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, Carena.....your arch is lovely!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

These are great pictures,Caren, my goodness that arch is stunning. I know what you mean about just every morning is just a delight to see what MG's are blooming that day. Pretty, pretty. I need to come visit.

T

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

thanks everyone!!! I wish I could stay home and play in the yard all day , maybe it would look better, most of it looks like a tornado just hit! I'd use that excuse but we don't get tornados here, I'll have to think of something else..the dog, yeah, that's it!!!
Joann, you are always welcome to come visit me & my little yard!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Really nice!
Can you tell us what is your support and how much care it took to get that way? It always seems that they have their own mind for me!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

can you also tell the name of the mgs. oh that hot pink one is gorgous. i have a trellis i would love to do this on. i have tried a couple of mgs but the ones i tried arent to trainable. thanks for the info.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Ohhhhh!! they are soooo pretty, I could look at them all day to...I like your arch..gives me some ideas..I do alot of vines and am running out of space....I need to block a view too..... :o)

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

It's just a cheapo metal arch, I got it for $5 at Big Lots. I just planted seeds at the base and left them alone and they took over. I'm going to have zillions of seeds to share! I can't remember the name of the red ones, I got them at Wal-mart....I'll look around to see if I saved the seed packets.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

yup, I have one of those cheapos too............$5 at Big Lots

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I cant belive those cheap trellis hold up so much...I've seen them at my store and didn't buy one cause I thought....yeah right wait till the vines get big and they will be on the ground....Boy I'm gonna go buy me 1 or 2 or 3 for next year....Hmmmm bet even if they were a little weak for heavier vines you could easily reinforce them alot cheaper than you could build another one......right....I looked at the picture again....oh so pretty....might buy me 4.....sure am glad your gonna have lots of seeds :o)

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

It sways a little bit when the wind blows, but otherwise it's pretty sturdy, I thought the same thing when I saw them, but decided to try anyway, and so far they are all holding up!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

mine is holding in it's second year now. this was last year, as this year the MG's are too slow here

Thumbnail by flowox
Lindale, TX(Zone 8a)

Carena: may I ask what camera you use. Those close-ups are fantastic. Bill

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Flowox, it looks like it won't be long before they will be blooming!
etexbill, it's a Nikon coolpix 2100. I'm loving it, I've only had it a few days and I'm still trying to figure out how to use it. It can focus as close as 1-1/2 inches, it's really fun!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Carena, that's last year's picture.........LOL
I would be embarassed to show this year as it's not even a quarter full as the picture above
it looks pitiful
what's odd is that my black-eyed Susan vine was pitiful last year and this year is growing like mad on the right side of the arch, the MG's I have on the left side this year

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Isn't it funny how that can happen? I have had plants do that too, maybe it developed a better root system this year.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

beats me. I have them growing in pots, just like last year

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Carena, looks so grand! I bet the thick vine helps it stay in place.

Flowox, I wonder if being in pots limits their growth. Did you change its dirt this year?

I think gardeners should be exempt from outside work! LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

yeah, new dirt this year, it's just been the weather. I have most of my things in pots :)

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Wonderful photos, any seeds to share or spare? Love the selections you have and that camera and you did a wonderful job on the closeup shots!!
Laurrie

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I harvested bunches and bunches of seeds and I'd be happy to share! send me your address and I'll get some on the way to you.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Carena, if you have any extras, I would love some seeds also. Would you like for me to send a SASA?

I have a really nice, sturdy wrought iron arch and it is covered with Ipomoea Acuminata (Blue Dawn - perennial morning glory vines). I should have just bought the less expensive one, because when they are covered, you can't tell the difference.

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Mini, I'd be happy to send you some, I'll email you... this arch was a $5 cheapo I bought at big lots, it did great all summer until we had a big windstorm and the whole thing blew over, the poles bent completely sideways about a foot off the ground! The vines were so heavy, it just couldn't hold itself up anymore..no big tragedy, It was late in the summer so they were pretty much done anyway!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Beautiful glories. I'm hooked now and will be planting some next year. What is the best bloomer?

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

The red is CRIMSON RAMBLER.

=:o) Judith

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Carena, I just sent you my addy. Thanks again for the lovely offer.
Laurrie

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Judith is right, and the crimson rambler had the most blooms, then the heavenly blue and grandpa Ott's. The seeds will be on the way to you in a day or two, ENJOY!!
Brugie, do you want some also?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

you have mail

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Carena, I have Grandpa Ott's. They come up every year for me. I have already ordered the Heavenly Blue's and I think I might have some Crimson Rambler's left from this year. I'll look and if I can't find them, I'll send you a quick email. Thanks for your offer. Guess I got in a hurry to order seeds. LOL!! Gardeners are just the best!!

Shirley

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

Now I want to know what the pink one is called?

Judith

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I know what it is, but can't think of it right now, i'll get back to you as soon as I remember!

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh my gosh! SO gorgeous Carena! Man, I know it's late now, but I am gonna have to go check Big Lots for that arch! I could put a few to use!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.