penstemon seed propagation

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

interested in learning whether various types of pentstemons come true from seed. Of particular interest right now is the p. digitalis 'huskers red.'
thanks.

Landenberg, PA(Zone 6b)

'Huskers Red' is a varietal selected because of its intense foliage color. Seedlings from this grown by itself, should be expected to have darker colored foliage than the average p. digitalis plants, but would generally vary in differing degrees among themselves and from the parent.

No seed plant "comes true" from seed unless it is a completely homozygous variety, with every gene present in both chromasomes in all pairs. Such a variety would truly be a scientific curiosity, and I doubt any exist outside of laboratories if even there. Despite this, a plant may be homozygous in some character of interest, and all seedlings will bear such a trait more-or-less modified by other genes present. Albino flowers is generally such a trait.

George

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

This is very interesting information. I have Penstemon "Red Rocks," which I love. Thanks for the detailed info!

Thumbnail by Gardener4Fun
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I've grown Husker's Red from seeds and there were some with red foliage... some with green.

Most penstemons need a prolonged chilling period in order to germinate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.