Trying (again) to propagate...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Over the last 10 days, I have started some cuttings... an unusual thing for me to try.

I have started several tip cuttings of my purple smokebush. (I tried one last year, and it didn't take.) I've also started 2-3 variegated hydrangeas which I understand are easy.

I used Calalily's method of liquid rooting hormone, and her plastic cut-apart bottles. For medium, I'm using half sand and half seed starting mix, although by accident I used potting soil in place of seed starting mix in a couple of the bottles.

Thumbnail by darius

Here are the hydrangeas, with the tops temp. off the bottles...

Thumbnail by darius
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Don't forget to keep them in the shade till they root.

Thanks, Cala... I forgot to mention that I had put them in the shade.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Is it ever too hot to try something like this? Even in the shade here, it's 100 degrees (at least about 95 most days).

Carla, unfortunately, I haven't a clue, as I'm new at this. Maybe4 someone will come alomg with a good answer.

Update: After 4 weeks, 3 out of 6 purple smokebush cuttings have died. The hydrangea look good, though. I didn't have any luck with smokebush last year either. Wonder what's the best way and time to do them?

Yesterday I started some cuttings of lemon verbena and a couple of the butterfly bushes I want to take with me when I move.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to propagate butterfly bushes too...I love em' and want more from the one I have...Anyone????

Darius, I'm having luck with my hydrangea too :-) What color is yours? Mine are deep purple. I'd love to have some white or pink ones though one day.

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I have cut the limbs off of my butterfly bushes to keep them from spreading out too far, and stuck them in a pot and kept watered. They all rooted with no extra or special care. I have stuck a limb beside a spinly plant for support and had the butterfly limb to root.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Hmmmm interesting...LOL I'll have to try this. Mine is very young yet but blooms. Not very many limbs to choose from but she's coming along. Thanks for the help busybee :-)

Annabelle... this variegated hydrangea bloomed white with a pinkish cast. I'm new to hydrangeas but understand color is very dependent on soil pH as well as variety.

Update: NONE of my purple smokebush cuttings survived. However, the hydrangea all rooted, and now I have a couple of buddleias, contorted filbert, and a couple other things going.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Good job Darius! :-D

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Way to go Darius!!!!! :-D

Thanks!!! I feel a tad proud myself...

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

As you should :-) lol

Orrville, OH(Zone 6a)

Congrats Darius! So you've got roots? I put some of my thinner butterfly bush cuttings in sand and perlite and 4 weeks later, nothing!!! Just a terrible stench....

I tried some lacecap hydrangeas too and they are rooting well. And my euonymous did well too. BUT, I really wanted more buddleias...Oh WAH, BOO HOO!

UofAGal... I just plunked some buddleia's in on Wednesday, so I'll get to see if they take.

Orrville, OH(Zone 6a)

Good luck. I have black knight, honeycomb and nanho blue that I really want to propagate. I'll try just sticking them in dirt like busybee said, and if they work I'll let you know too.

Thanks,
Marilyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.