Record heat!!!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

It's official (according to BBC regional news). Today was the hottest in my part of the country since records began.

It was 35.9C (97F - so we didn't quite hit the 100)

They've changed their minds and upped it to 36.4C (98F) now. Creeping ever nearer the magic 100

The forecast is for a slightly cooler couple of days and then back up again for the weekend - that HAS to be some kind of record if the weekend weather is good LOL

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

excellent news. now if we can get this every year

Highest temperature so far this year was 33.6 °C on 15 July at Wisley.

Oooh only 3 days after you, psilo and I were there for the geraniums, and it was hot then too as I remember it

Shaping up to be another scorcher today!!

And the New Scientist, which has come this morning, has an article on the benefits of sunlight and why we should take all the advice to keep out of it with a pinch of salt
So now we can all bask in it without a guilty conscience (if you ever did LOL)

I'm off to find a seat in the sun so I can study what they say *g*

vitamin D comes to mind

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Does it affect the birds though? When I sit in my garden it's normally a cacophonay of sound all day long,long tailed tits flitting around making their high pitched peeps,sparroes twittering, but over the last three days it's been almost silent. Where have they all gone, are they shelteringh from the heat in a shady place, do they go to the sea-side for the cool breeze?
The only birds I've heard have been the old seagulls,and a solitary magpie.
As opposed to that I've made myself stay up late to sit in the garden to enjoy the hot sultry evenings.I've been delighted with the amount of moths and other such night life. I ncluding bats.When I was sat on my patio, they were scooping around within inches from me,it was heaven.

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yes Philomel it waas incredibly hot at Wisley wasnt it. I got dehydrated towards the end of the day.

It wasnt as hot as that yesterday up here. Not sure what we reached but it was bearable :)

As mark says though it would be nice to get this every summer. Im off on my holidays at the end of next week. Just watch that nice weather break!! ;):D

Sue birds are moulting right now thats why you dont hear them as they are hiding from predators

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

It's been very hot here too. I took a couple of days off and went to the seaside - Whitby on Monday and Scarborough yesterday. There was a cooling breeze coming off the sea - bliss! Cooler here today - we've had rain overnight. But I think it'll be sunnier by the weekend again.

I'm sat indoors now, as it's too hot for me out there, rest of family have decamped to sea-side.thinbk I'll take a cold shower!!..
this has to be first for me,normally I like it hot, hot, hot

the sun has just come out here (16.40) it has been cooler and overcast all day!

Northern Ireland had record temperatures 14 years ago when we has 15 days in a row of 32C. Previous to that was the summer of '76

y'know those on the other side of the pond are probably wondering why we are talking about the heat so much. Our heat is similar to Florida Keys having snow and ice for days on end

Mark our country is one of virtually no extremes. Not too hot, not too cold and no outstanding weather phoenonema, We dont have earthquakes, hurricanes or volcanic eruptions. The only force of interest is the increase in flooding and unless you live on a flood plain it wont interest you for long.
So is it any wonder that when one comes along we just have to shout about it!! :)

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

We don't have Gumbo either ;-)

Here's to the temperate climate ... CHEERS!!!!

Wintermoor

It was VERY hot again yesterday and looks as if it's going to be the same today. I'm about to mow the lawn at 7.10am because I know it's going to be far too hot to attempt it later

Just keep taking the water Wintermoor *g*
(that was water you were toasting with?? ;)

that should have read 15 hot days in a row with a maximum of 32C / 90F

I don't know about the UK but this heatwave seems to be stuck here for a while, according to the Met. offices in Hamburg and Copenhagen.
Real 3 showers a day weather.

It's times like these that I crave my beloved Scottish rain.

Wintermoor

Well, that did the trick!! The thin misty cloud that was threatening to burn off all too quickly has thickened and it is cooler so far today. Amazing what a little well timed lawn mowing can do LOL
So yes, just had shower number 1 Barry :)

That really stuck in your mind mark - or did you look it up??!!

looked it up

LOL. There's a surprise :)

I can just start to see whispy blue patches, so the heat will be switched back up again soon.

Shame about the Gumbo Barry - I could just do with some. The ingredients are sooo expensive here :(

Whats gumbo?

surely you must know!? http://www.gumbopages.com/recipe-page.html

Well, I've learnt something - I thought gumbo ALWAYS had okra in it!

thanks mark had not heard of it, some interesting recipe4s there

We finally took the record yesterday
It was officially 101F at Gravesend - about 20 miles from my house - and didn't we know it! Not a breath of air.

Some Italian relations were staying with me and they were finding the heat trying!!! We were also all attacked by mosquitos on saturday night - something they thought they would have left behind when they came to the UK (I put them right there lol)

Today is overcast and cooler, with lightning and rumbling thunder, but so far the nearest rain is about 10 miles away

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

I have been watching BBC weather since this started,Whew!hope you cool off soon,but it does not look like it.
Gumbo to me is when you clean out the Icebox into a pot,it can contain almost anything!No set recipe!LOL!what ever you think might work or is close to going bad!

I dont want to cool off!!

Interesting rootdoctor - I associate gumbo with the sticky qualities of okra, but am obviously wrong :)

Well come and experience something akin to Belizian weather here then mark. Looks as if it's set to stay for a while...

Must say I've been enjoying it as long as I don't have to work in it ;) It was the two year old I felt sorry for. She couldn't seem to settle for her usual afternoon siestas (so I spose I felt sorry for mum and dad too lol)

we're hot enough here 31 yesterdat and very hot again today Belize weather today is to peak at 29C/85F

My thermometer showed 35C for yesterday and at the moment is 30C. It went down to 20C in the night.
We still haven't had the rain here, though I've just got back from a friend's 8 miles away and it was raining 'stairrods' there this morning and filled up the water butt!

She has the most delightful lurcher bitch that the travellers lost a while back. (Serves them right for hare coursing ;) Smooth saluki type
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! lol

Well, we've had heat. And we've had storms. I was out at the Saltburn Folk Festival yesterday. About half-way there I could see a black haze directly in front of us. One the bus got into it the skies went black and the street lights came on. It started pouring down and within two minutes the roads were flooded. The bus got through the flood- water but cars were stalling and getting stuck. In Middlesbrough and Hartlepool people were evacuated from shops as the building couldn't cope with the rain on the roofs. My old hospital, the North Riding Infirmary, where I've been going for my eye-tests, had the roof cave in. As it happens we're all being moved to another bigger, more modern hospital. I'm really glad my appointment there was today not yesterday!

Wow Northerner that sounds quite an adventure!
Hope noone was hurt with the collapsed roof

Well I'll be in England tomorrow, and heaven help you all if it doesn't rain!!! I'm goin' daft here for a wee bit of rain, but it hasn't even looked like spitting on me for at least 4 weeks.

Wintermoor

You won't be wanting to visit me then Wintermoor - one of the driest places in the country (though I know parts of East Anglia can beat it)

Though if you're passing through Kent you're very welcome :)

We have plenty of rain wintermoor! :)

I'm in Bedford 2morrow, then in Brent on Wednesday ... I'd LOVE to see you both ladies, but this is pyoorly bizniss ... sadly not the music biz, or I would have been able to spin another day or two out of it.

I wont even be able to smell Manchester ... OH!! wait a minute , that was Kirkaldy wasn't it ... you can tell by the smell it's Kirkaldy (linoleum works) .. blechhhh!!

Wintermoor

Hope the trip goes well Barry

You certainly wouldn't want to be smelling the local Milton Creek on a bad day. Bad eggs have nothing on it - pooooooh!!

Blue skies again this morning and not a cloud in sight :)

No-one was hurt through the collapsed roof luckily. Sadly one person had a heart attack and passed away running to get out of the storm.
Warm again here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.