Welcome to the Irises forum

By popular request http://davesgarden.com/t/392695/ I introduce you to the Irises forum!

Dave

Thumbnail by dave
Cortlandt Manor, NY(Zone 6a)

Oh Hooray! Thanks Dave. I have so many new irises I am planting for next year,(bearded, siberian, japanese) will be nice to have a place to share and discuss.

western Piedmont, NC(Zone 7a)

Here's a site I have bookmarked

http://www.louisianairis.com/irises_in_mid_atlantic.htm

Thumbnail by gardengym
Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

woo hoo! how very cool. thanx Dave.

Cheri'

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy! thank you!

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

gardengym, thanks for the link. Hope everyone notes that the photo shows a Louisiana Iris. Planting a bearded iris that deeply and also mulching it would be a sure recipe for a 'rotten' adventure.

Thanks, Dave, for again responding so quickly to the wishes of your membership. As you know, Pardancanda belongs to the Iris Family, so I now have another home...

And thanks to Wandasflowers for making this forum happen!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Dave!!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Thank you Dave!!!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hey, I just try to make a dent in my Iowa clay to plant the iris. Works great. i'm too lazy to dig deep anyway....

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Belvidere, IL(Zone 5a)

I am so glad to see this forum. They are my one of my favorite flowers. I just wish they lasted longer in the season. Thanks Dave.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Hey , thanks a million Dave!

The people asked and the powers listened! :-)

Davena

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

What a responsive site - way to go, Dave! How does he do it, folks?!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Dave's da man!

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Santacltr2, just get a variety of types, and you can have a very long season. If you include some rebloomers, you will have them again in the fall, with just a brief period with no iris blooms.

Belvidere, IL(Zone 5a)

Aimee, thanks for that informations. I am going to be on the look out for those rebloomers. Just started a new bed and that would be a good place to put them.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

ty fearless leader ;)

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

I knew you'd be in here notmartha! You are the iris and daylily fanatic right? I will have to wait till next year for my first ones to bloom. Some purple ones from plantnutz and vi and the Eagles Flight from vi. That one got a primo spot by the back patio.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

My favorite source for iris is Schreiner's, and they have some rebloomers in their catalog. Go now to their website, after you check them out in GW, because sometimes they sell out of the best ones in a hurry.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks alot for the Iris forum Dave. They have been one of my favorites forever. Donna

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I live close to Schreiner's. it's an amazing site when the fields are all in bloom, the colors go on forever!

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

OK, so I posted a few irises I wanted to know the names of and got no response whatsoever - SO I looked back to see who were the "instigators" of the iris forum and I found this oldest thread. Can anyone help me identify the three I already posted? I have a couple more ot ask about as soon as I get their photos together.

I get plants from friends and from trades that come to me without names and I really get compulsive about the botanical names, so if you can help, please do!

South Hamilton, MA

In many cases it is impossible to ID irises from a photo. There are many similiar looking ones. Irises have been registered since 1920. The more 'modern' looking ones from 1950 on. Over 1,000 are registered every yr. Unless you have some indication of its origin there are no real clues. If one seems quite different ask the friend or family member for more information. Unless people see it growing or have help from the origin, it can't be done. Unfortunately quite a few iris people have moved off this site. & even they can't really help.

I hope the information means sense.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

Well, thanks for the information on that! I knew there were lots, but I didn't know it was that hard. I always ask the people I receive them from, but when they don't know, they don't know. It's enough that the irises are pretty. I plan to share when dividing time comes though, so I thought I'd like to be able to tell the recipient the name. But it will have to be enough for the recipients that they are pretty.

South Hamilton, MA

Keep your eyes out for iris bloom next yr (of course you do) & see if any look like any of yours. You might find some & can compare the stalks & flowers with yours. Also look for traits like purple foliage at the base of leaves which might give ID help.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2011 3:45 PM

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.