Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii)

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a large Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii). It is very tall and falling over soooooo, I was wanting to cut it back. I'm hoping someone out there will know how to propagate this plant from cuttings. What would be the best way to do this. Can you take cuttings from this plant with any success?? I have never done cuttings on this plant before. Any info would be most helpful.... :O)

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Here is a detailed description http://miami-dade.ifas.ufl.edu/programs/commorn/publications/crown-of-thorns-homeowner.PDF (you will need adobe reader - free at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html )
Send me a cutting and I will help you try! :-}

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

take a cutting, watch the sap, allow cutting to dry and form a calous for a couple of days. prepare a potting medium, water the medium and allow water to drip off. take a pencil, make a hole big enough to allow the cutting to go in. set aside for a few weeks in a well shaded area... hmmm about 3-4 weeks, to allow new roots to form. please do not water again until u see new growth. then gradually take outside. hth... ma vie

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info from both of you.... I am going to give it a try over the weekend...... Will let everyone know how it goes......... :o)

This will shock everyone I think - but I have successfully rooted the Crown of thorns by - Putting a cutting in water on the kitchen sill and let it make roots! I did not believe it to be true but my mother had always done this and I tried and it works well and rapidly!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Since we have had storms and rain almost everyday I haven't cut mine back yet so I will be trying this method to. Did you let the sap drain off and then put it in water? How did you do it..... ...... :o)

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Congratulations!
This will teach you to doubt your MOTHER.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

George...I didn't forget you just haven't done the cuttin yet.... :o)

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

plantman,
Ya know, I was actually thinking recently about my MOM the plant nut who started everything by unceremoniously'plunking' anything she wanted to grow into a glass of water.
Those were the good old days before technology said there is a 'better' way ;~)
Thanks for bringing up this memory again >^,,^< SB

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey folks, I'm not going to have to cut that crown of thorns just yet.....Hubby and son moved it for me and they built me a trellis to tie it to .... :o)

WillowWasp - Just put a piece in water. Just like scooterbug says - no ceremony just put a piece in water and give some light. I never even changed the water! LOL

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Wouldn't it still be best to let the sap callous over first??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.