Bagging Seeds

Blue Springs, MO(Zone 5b)

I've heard about this, and when I went to harvest my dill seed and discovered they'd already dropped I investigated further but can't find much info about bagging. So I put plastic baggies around two dills that are "green" seeds... I wanted seeds from my lamb's ear and HOT mustard so cut off the big stuff and put it upside down in a brown paper bag. Am I close to what "bagging seeds" is??? Is this going to work? Thanks!!

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

TamTam: Don't use plastic bags, they will collect moisture and the sun will cook the plant. Brown paper sacks work great as well as pieces of old nylons, muslin fabric, netting like bridal veil netting.

Thanks Debby! I like the nylon idea cuz it will be easier to rubber band around the stem - how would you get a paperbag tight enough to catch seeds? Hmmm...

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I wonder why someone doesn't market little fabric drawstring bags to use for collecting seeds? or maybe I've just never seen any...I was thinking of making some because I always seem to wait just a little too long and miss the seeds.

The little drawstring bags are very easy to make or if you want to buy some, which are pretty fancy for seed collecting, you can find the little drawstring bags in the bridal department at any craft store, but too fancy for my taste, but you can make the little bags out of left over material scraps, or the tulle netting, muslin, or anything along that order to hold the seeds. For some of my seed collecting; I just tie a piece of old panty hose around the seed head

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

TamTam: I cut the hose into about 4 inch sections and tie a knot in the bottom. You can use twist ties to tie around the top of the pantyhose or knee hi's. On my daturas, I just wrap the top of the hose around until the sharp spines catch it. I have never tried the paper bag, I suppose you could tie the bag on with string or twisties if the twisties were big enough to go around.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

very good tips...

LOL - Tamara, how fun to have a thread from two years ago come back!! I'm so glad you posted cuz I have ONE double yellow dat that's very small and had ONE flower...guess what I'm gonna do right here and now!! Don't need pantyhose anyhoo, I never GO anywhere fancy!!! :) Happy Gardening!!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i'm always searching for good info, more fun than asking an old question :-)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Don't tie the bag too tight around the stem! You don't want to cut off circulation in the plant...you'll lose the whole seed pod.

Just snug it around the stem enough to keep it from falling off and the seeds from falling out.
Something padded around the stem of a very special plant might be a good idea.

When I bag tomato blossoms (to prevent cross-pollination) I use the rope cotton like a hairdresser uses and wrap a bit around the stem before tying my bag on.

I'm so glad you said something, Melody, I'm always doing silly things that later seem so obviously wrong!! I sure will treat the special TRIPLE yellow dat (she gave me another flower and this one a triple!) pod with delicate TLC!!

(And now I'm thinking hard on who I know who does hair and might have some rope cotton!! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.