Red Bell Peppers, none are turning red?!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I have had bell peppers on my plant since June... not a single one has been anything but solid deep green... is there some trick I'm missing? DH says I've been tricked and bought green bell pepper plants marked red bell... I think I'm just not doing something right... how long should it take for them to start turning red? It may be the weather.. my tomatoes are all green, no yellow or red anywhere on the 4 different varieties I'm growing.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Bell peppers start out green and then turn red when they are fully mature and ripe.The green ones you see in the stores are _all_ just inmature ones.They would have turned red,yellow,orange,or whatever if left on the plant long enough.If picked green,the plant is fooled into producing more fruit,so you get more green peppers.If your crop is allowed to mature and turn color,the plant knows that it's purpose is done and starts to die(just like any annual flower)That is why you pay more at the store for the ripe ones.

If your tomatoes aren't ripe yet,chances are,it will be a bit before your peppers start to turn too.

Hang in there and be patient.Depending on the variety,there are different times to maturity.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.