Does anyone collect Calla Lily seeds?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

My Calla Lily plant has several seed pods forming (the size of an egg, LOL) and I was wondering ... is it worth saving the seeds from them? Does anyone trade them? Also ... do I need to sow them 'fresh' or can I save them over the winter?

Badseed, I saw your post in the Plant Database, a picture of the seed pod ... looks just like mine. What's your experience in collecting and sowing the seeds? Thanks!

Thumbnail by jules_jewel
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I collected some seed a couple of years ago or more. I let them finish drying after I picked the head...it looked pretty dry when I picked it. That spring I planted some of the seeds and it took about six weeks for them to come up. My fault...I should have soaked and nicked I think. I really know nothing about these seeds. Just got seedling by chance I think. There are a lot more seeds in there than it looks like. Each one of the bulb like things has lots of seed in it.

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I have some too, I'm wondering what to do with them. My calla's did really well this year.

Here is a link that shows and tells, step by step of the Calla Lilly and also tells you about the seeds and how long it takes for a Calla to bloom being planted by seeds.
Be patient; as it takes awhile for all the pictures to load.

http://www.tutorus.com/GardeningCallaSeeds.htm

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I am sorry Jewel! I never saw this til now. I just peel mine once they turn tan and begin to fall off. Then I stick them right in the dirt.

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the link, CoCo. I've always wondered about calla seeds too. I thought that the seeds were the "kernels" in the spent flower so I never did open one of the kernels to discover the seeds inside them. Good info.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Roshanna, me either...I guess mine are way too young a plant because the ones I got from my mother havent had the pods as of yet. But now I know what to look for...Im all excited. I love the yellow cally lilly you have Coco...its beautiful, but yellow's my fav color. I'm not sure what color mine will be...we shall see!!! If ya ever wanna share Coco, hint hint...I might do the same with ya when I get some :-)))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.