HYDRANGEA .. help please

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

I seem to have lost the Hydrangea forum, or has it been closed?

This Hydrangea is just exploding all over the place. He only popped out seven blooms this year, although last year he had over fifty!!

I trimmed him back a wee bit right after he bloomed, but didn't cut off any of the new buds, only the blooms.

Is he just having a break from blooming this year to build up his muscles for next year, or is he just too lazy to flower?

Help needed before he gets the chop!!

Ta much in advance :-)

Wintermoor

Thumbnail by Wintermoor

Here's another photo.

Wintermoor

Thumbnail by Wintermoor
Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Maybe a little discussion from a northwestern US gardner will help http://www.king5.com/homeandgarden/ciscoe/stories/NW_032503CSBhydrangea.14d3f820.html It may be you pruned too much last year. In this he says:".. hydrangeas only bloom off last year's growth. So if you cut it all off, guess what?"
Cut back the old growth (brownish) and only lightly prune the new growth.

Give the poor thing another year before you chop it.

Great link and 'interview' George ... Thanx M8

What I'm worried about is, is that I did only cut under the flowers last year and it still hasn't come up ... by the same token, many of my friends' Hydrangeas didn't do too well either, even after 10 - 12 years ... BUT all Roses grew to incredible proportions ... they are saying here in Germany that it is a Rose Year ... maybe next year will be a Hydrangea Year.

Thanx again George

Wintermoor

p.s. I couldn't chop him down anyway, I just don't have the heart ;-)

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

So what do your roses look like???? You do grow at least one, don't you????

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

did you have a late frost? that is a real culprit here in the north.

We had a couple of days at -21°C but they should manage that Debi. All of the others are blooming away like mad, but it is just this big one who seems to be in a huff with me for some reason.

Wintermoor

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Barry - In a huff with you!! Na - I don't believe it!! lol...... We used to have a hydrangea forum but Dave closed it down since it wasn't drawing enough interest. He did say he could open it up again if more folk participated. I too used to think that the macrophyllas only flowered on new wood but that is not so, some varieties do and I have positive proof in my garden and from the experts. It could be that you did cut off some new emerging buds because they are very close to the blooms and then you might have had a late frost as happened here. Another possibility might be that you have over fed which results in much foliage but little flowering. Nice to see photos of your 'wee' place again!! :-)

This message was edited Friday, Aug 1st 8:56 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.