New To Me This Year!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Around this time last year I started seeing people post pictures of this, and I cut loose to begging for seeds. Well lookie what I have now!
I actually have a white one with yellow in the center and then I have this one.
I sure hope I get seeds from these!

Anyone know how to take cuttings from it?? I have it planted in the ground and I know it isn't hardy for me. Help!! I want this again next year as well!
What do I do??

Oops should have said that this is a Butterfly Pea, Blue Pea Vine
Clitoria ternatea

This message was edited Tuesday, Jul 29th 11:12 PM

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

molly you are right it isnt hardy to us. i have tried cutting but it doesnt seem to work. i have to buy seeds every year from a person who lives in cali. if lucky and started soon enough usually in the house you will get seed pods off the flower. there are three colors to this vine. pale pink?purple deep blue and white. i love this vine too. i have one growing but hasnt bloomed yet. they are hard to find and grow. i hope you get some from this.

try bringing it in over the winter. its a tropical so it needs heat. i cant try this my self this year as we are trying to move. it may work. Imzadi

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Tell ya I just don't understand what the entry in the PDB means then.... What do you think??
This is what the Hardiness zone says.
Hardiness:
USDA Zone 7a (-15° C to -17.7° C)
USDA Zone 7b (-12.3° C to -14.9° C)
USDA Zone 8a (-9.5° C to -12.2° C)
USDA Zone 8b (-6.7° C to -9.4° C)
USDA Zone 9a (-3.9° C to -6.6° C)
USDA Zone 9b (-1.2° C to -3.8° C)
USDA Zone 10a (1.6° C to -1.1° C)
USDA Zone 10b (4.4° C to 1.7° C)
USDA Zone 11 (above 4.5° C)

Here is the whole page, see what you think.
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/528/

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

If you bring it in, it might go dormant, or it might look pitiful all winter, but it should survive if you don't overwater it. Cuttings need to be taken from semi-ripe tip growth, not so fragile that it breaks, but not hardwood and not a blooming branch. I take cuttings that are 6-8 inches long, dip in Shultz root starter and stick in vermiculite. Takes about 4-6 weeks to get a nice rooted plant.

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

Regarding hardiness, this is what another site has to say:
http://www.grapheus.com/Plants-Clitoria.htm
(min. temp 10 degrees celcius)

If the PD is wrong, perhaps you could submit a correction, or at least post a note to the page with your experience/opinion.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I got seeds for this but no matter how hard I tried, they just didn't come out :(

it's very pretty

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Here is the Dk blue one, I also have a white one.
The foliage on the blue one and white one are different than the leaves on the purple one.
My purple one went crazy! It is wayyyy up a pole now! and I also saw that I have 1 seed pod so far! Yeah hopefully I will have seed for next year!

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

White one

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I love the blue one too :)
Save me a couple of seeds if you have any to spare

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I am really hoping to get some seeds as this is my first yeat for having these. If I get a few I will share with ya.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the link ANewYorker!

O yea by the way I use to trade with a lady from Endwell NY
Her name was Kathy. Ya don't know her do ya?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

for me to get the seeds to sprout easy i use the nick and baggy in the window. wet paper towel method.

i see that they say this is hardy to certain temps but it hasnt done it here. Riverbanks gave up on this plant due to it not coming back. its got to have the heat. you take your chance if you leave it out and sometimes even over wintering it doesnt come back. thankfully seeds arent to expensive for the blue ones. the others are rarer to find and more costly.

seeds pods look like pea pods for those who dont know. let turn brownish tan color before harvesting. Imzadi

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I've read that you can take soft wood cuttings, but to be honest with ya I have never even tried to take a cutting from anything so I'm not exactly sure about how that is done.
Would soft wood cutting mean a cutting close to the end of the vine maybe??

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

Mollybee, No, I don't know a "Kathy" from Endwell, but the town is 20,000 people. I looked in my garden club roster - no Kathy! Darn, cuz I'm the only one from a one-hour radius that I have seen on DG! Can you believe that this 40+ yr. old garden club doesn't TRADE? Monthly meetings, spring plant sale, monthly horticultural speakers, garden visits, monthly flower judging? YES! Trading? "Oh - yeah, maybe that would be good; we don't do that!" I gotta get 'em goin'!
I just looked up where Villa Rica is ~ must be a great climate. Funny that I saw the "same" towns near you that I have here: Oneonta, Ithaca, Albany, Franklin, Rome, and Union.
Does anyone use this vine for 'herbal remedies'? I saw on this site that it is used as a "purgative, cathartic and diuretic" (I only really know what the last one means!) HA! I know nothing about the medicinal properties of plants!
http://www.sandmountainherbs.com/butterfly_pea.html

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I planted some for the first time this year also, they didn't do anything at all for me until we had a record heat wave, they loved it and are finally starting to grow a little. I hope to get a few flowers soon. I have white, blue and double blue. I'm bringing them in for the winter.

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

Ooo - propagation question? Here are two good "how-to" links...
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html
http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/hort/g06970.htm

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Funny how we have some of the same towns huh?! Pretty neat I think. Would have never known there was a Rome NY!

Thanks for the links. I am really hoping to get to try the cuttings this year. I usually just do seeds come early March/April for all the plants I want to grow the following season. So maybe I will get lucky and get a few cuttings to live until next year.

Good luck with your's Carena Be sure and post a pic when they do start blooming.

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Molly, I have my first bloom this morning!!! I didn't even see it bud...it's dark blue, I wish I could get a pic, I only have an old camera that won't do close-ups, I'll try to get a pic anyway..oh it's pretty!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I know exactly how you must have felt when you found it. I was in total shock when I saw mine blooming for the first time. I had even thought that it might not bloom until next year. I had more or less given it up for blooming at all this year. I was simply thrilled when it did the first time. But I must tell ya that mine, started blooming like mad after that and hasn't let up since then. It stays in full bloom all the time now. Cool new plant and I love it!
You'll see what I mean once it gets going good.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Mollybee, those are beautiful! Do they like sun or partial shade? If you have any seeds by Oct. could you bring a few to the swap?

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Weeds,
These are in full sun right now. I haven't tried them in any other place as this is my first year for them.
So far I have only seen 1 seed pod, and as of now it is flat so I am still in hopes that it will fill out and make seeds. If I get some I will gladly bring you some to the swap.
I am writing it down on my Oct plant swap list right now, so I don't forget.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Great and thanks....Here's hoping you have many many seed pods full of seeds!

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm going to try to root some cuttings just for fun, if it works I'll root a bunch to share with everyone. I found another bud today!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

if you get it to root I would love to have one :)

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I bring mine in each year and it goes dormant but has come back the last two years. I need the blue and white. I have one seed pod that is not ready to harvest yet. I think I had four last year. I have mine in partial shade.

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

okay Flo, wish me luck!

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Whoo-hoo, I have a digital camera!!! Look!

Thumbnail by Carena
Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

WOW Carena, which one did you get? that's a gorgeous photo. Love the color

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

It's a Nikon coolpix 2100, I'm still trying to figure out how to use it!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

from your pictures you would think you're a pro already :)

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Carena from the way that pic looks, you have already figured it out! Way Cool!
Mine like that has only had about 3 blooms on it. For some reason it isn't a heavy bloomer like the other one is. But none the less it is still very pretty when it does bloom!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.