Sorting tiny seeds from pods, etc.

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

I found a good way to sort the seeds from the pods on impatiens and snapdragons-put the pods in a shaker like dehydrated minced onion ( or spices) comes in and shake them upside down over a pie pan (or any flat pan)- It works really great-the seeds come out and the pods and junk stay in the shaker. - Would like to hear from others ideas for saving seeds and drying them

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

I have to do my Nicotina S.tomorrow,I put a piece of newspaper down to collect them.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I use an old screen set over a bowl - pour the seeds on the screen, gently shake it and the chaff and stuff stays on the screen while the seeds fall through. I also found if I put my seeds in a large, clear glass bowl on a table outside in the sun, the heat builds up in the bowl, driving out any little critters. A few hours later, I can put the seeds in a smaller container, and they're bug-free.

Blue Springs, MO(Zone 5b)

Okay, I'm new at this, never saved seeds before. I've been putting seeds in babyfood jars - Root - I'm snipping the pod of the nicotiana & squeezing seeds into the jar (then I'm tossing the pod where I want them next year) ....okay, surely there's some reason why I should NOT do this so sock it to me. (I'm leaving the jars open...)

btailoring - thank you thank you thank you!! I have tons of snapdragon pods I've collected and was WONDERING what the easiest way to get seeds out would be!! I have one of the shakers, too - wheeee! I'm gonna go do that!

I posted a note in the PDB about collecting mustard seeds yesterday. Whoooo did my mouth ever burn when I rubbed the corners - for HOURS!!! I'll wear gloves next time - who KNEW seed collecting would be so full of surprises!! :)

Blue Springs, MO(Zone 5b)

P.S. - Terry, I was surprised by a couple ants in a pod the other day and will just put my jars in the sun for a while before getting the seeds now - thank YOU, too!! :)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Btailoring, my parents used to have a vacation place on Webb Lane in Stockport!! It was just a little bit below the dam. We used to fish for large mouth bass and walleye. That was before the old mill was turned into a bed and breakfast. My mother sold the place in '95 after my dad died. We miss it, it is so pretty there. Small world, hey?

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

I will put these in a small holed salt shaker to spread them,Nicotina S.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks for all the suggestions! NoH2O- it is a small world, my husband works is Columbus. One of my friends used to live down in Webb Lane (her Dad is the WEBB in Webb lane)!
Terry, thanks for the glass bowl suggestion, is sure makes the pods on my impatiens seed dry up faster!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Bt, if you are talking about Barb, my mother knew her when she lived there. It really is a small world!

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

NoH2O -Actually, Barb's younger sister, Sally, was a good friend when we were in school, and now is my neighbor, Barb lives up the street!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.