Tomatoes

Marshfield, WI(Zone 4b)

In another forum, they were discussing tomatoes and propagating from suckers. Anyone ever done this? Would it be possible to start a tomato from a sucker, keep it under the lights for the winter and then plant out the next year (or take another cutting during the winter if it looks too spindly)? I have a grape tomato that is doing marvelous and would like to continue its "lineage."

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

I think it would be possible to do what you've mentioned, but I can foresee lots of work and pruning throughout the winter. I assume this is a hybrid and you don't want to save the seed? I know that all the little hairs on the stem of a tomato vine will turn into roots, so I imagine it would be fairly simply to root a stem. To give the plant what it needs throughout the winter means it would grow and grow and grow...and I'd think by the end of winter you'd have started it over several times. That would be lots of light and heat to keep it healthy. If you like the tomato and have trouble finding it in the spring why not try to keep one alive? We gardeners are usually bored all winter anyway!

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I have taken the growing tip out of tomatoes and rooted them in soil. Works very easily. Just don't panic when the cutting wilts. It will come back in a few days.

Marshfield, WI(Zone 4b)

I will probably try it three ways. One just rooting in soil, one by placing in water and another in my usual way (rooting hormone, soiless mixture, keept moist). I have never just tried rooting anything in soil without fussing over it a bit, dore for me than the plant, I guess. I really do like propagating stuff. Have some blueberries started right now that are looking very good! Also have done many shrubs. My son now has five very lovely spirea at his home that I had had growing in my flower garden for 5 years. Just love getting free plants from clippings.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

I have done this in the past,buried the stem deeply in a lightened planting medium [adding vermiculite does this cheaply] .
Scooterbug

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

MossRose (love 'em) Thanks For the idea of saving a hybrid 'mater. I just kept one plant in the window to retain my sanity through the crummy Wi. winter.Even like the fragrance on my hand from handling the plant.Now is that sick or what??Tee-Hee...>^,,^< SB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.