propagating phlox - david

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I asked this question once before but can't locate the forum. How do I root this beautiful plant?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I take cuttings in spring before it blooms, dip them in root starter and stick in potting soil or vermiculite.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I've had a few more plants come up in the bed, I guess from seed. That's a bit difficult because of a layer of mulch on that bed, but the mulch has gotten pretty thin over the last 2 years and I haven't had time, money to add more.

I also have a pink one that must have come from a seed mix I put in the adjacent bed a couple of years ago. I have saved seed from 'Davidii' but never planted it...

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Darius, I have read that you shouldn't let perennial phlox go to seed because the colors are muddy. Because of this I always deadhead. I wonder if anyone else has had plants that self-seeded and how the colors were on those? I have never tried dividing my 'David' but I think you might be able to dig up the new growth at the edge and transplant those.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

NoWater, I have several newer plants of 'Davidii' That are pure white like the originals, and HAD to come from seed.

CHARITON, IA(Zone 5a)

I HAVE SEVERAL WHITE DAVID PHYLOX THAT HAVE "SEEDED" BESIDE MY ORIGINAL PLANTS. NOW HAVE A SMALL BED OF THEM AND ALL WHITE AND POWDER MILDEW FREE. MY MISS LINGUARD DIED OUT IN THE DROUGHT LAST YEAR, BUT WILL NOT REPLACE AS IT HAD POWDERY MILDEW EACH YEAR. HOPE THIS HELPS. MOVING THE NEW SEEDLINGS EARLY THIS FALL IS MY PLAN FOR INCREASING THE SIZE OF MY BED.

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

Well, I neglected to deadhead my Mt. Fuji last year, and look what has happened..... I pulled the pink out after I took the photo, and will certainly deadhead this year.

Thumbnail by MossRose
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I have a 50ft long bed of mixed color phlox, from pure white to purple and every color in between. They reseed all over the place, some are even white with pink stripes. I love phlox so I let them reseed all they want.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.