How are your tomatoes doing this year

Lake Elsinore, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi,

I am interested in how everyone's tomatoes are doing. What is growing well, not growing. I have 25 varieties and most are late this year. Let me know the names and flavor etc. ie: are they mushy, very sweet, not sweet, color, you favorite etc.

I will post my info later tonight. Thanks for the input!

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

well I planted my veggies down by the pond this year...
seeing as how we've had droughts for the past few years.

ummm... all the plants had their roots rotted off after this last rain. maybe we got a bushel of peppers and the same amount of tomatos... some had to be picked green.

Rutger, Roma, and assorted peppers.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

My tomatoes are very slow this year, and smaller. The weather has been goofy. Cool, wet, hot, dry. It can't make up it's mind! I don't have any ripe maters yet. Not even the 4th of July maters!!!!! Hope something happens soon! I have about 12 varieties. Purple Calabash, Juan Flamme, Celebrity, Lemon Boy to name a few. I'll let you know when I get to taste them.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

We've had an abundance of rain here this Spring/summer also. In spite of it tho, you can see my row of Abe Lincoln's are doing wonderfully well! Loaded with green fruit, and just now starting to ripen here and there. Yummy!

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Finally, finally, finally taking off - I was beginning to think they never would. 'Jaune Flamme' and 'Bonnie Best' have the biggest (but still not ripe) fruit, 'Cherokee Purple' and 'Green Zebra' are putting out some fruit now. I'm now hoping for a late fall, so we can harvest a decent crop this year. (Last year was bad, too - weird weather this Spring and last.)

Ok for mine, I have too many to list, however as I said I have 25 varieties. We did not have the normal hot weather until 3 weeks ago. That has made for late late crops. I have:

Wonder light: just begining to set
Black from Tula: Large and green so far - sparce producer
Aussie: Large and green so far
Giant Belgium: Large and green - medium producer
Juliet: I am harvesting them now. They fall off in your hands and are crisp and juicy, not really sweet, but very refreshing tasting, good snacking.
Heatwave: like the grocery store toms - can take them or leave them
Brandywine OTV-green - med producer
Beefmaster- some setting
Sandul Moldovan-some setting
Black Plum-just setting
Cherokee Purple-just setting
Lemon Boy-med producer still green
Powers Heirloom-lots of large fruit
Pineapple Tomato- up some green
Yellow Plum: up - some green toms
Jersey Devils: did not come up planted them 3 times.
Yellow Pear:producing sparce in the heat, but sweet.
Sweet 100: Dont' think it likes where it is. Not doing well.

I will have to check on the rest. Thanks again for your input!

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 26th 5:23 PM

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

I PLANTED FOUR GRAPE TOMATO PLANTS IN CONTAINERS ON MY DECK AND ABOUT 9 IN THE GARDEN. EVERY PLANT HAS OVER 80 TOMATOES. IVE BEEN PICKING THEM FOR ABOUT A WEEK NOW. MY REGULAR TOMATOES (DONT KNOW NAME) ALSO LOOK GOOD. STILL GREEN BUT STARTING TO TURN GOLDEN. ALSO HAVE 8 PLUM TOMATOE PLANTS AND THEY ARE LOOKING GOOD.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

We are late too. I only have two varieties this year (and now I'm kicking myself for not starting the cherry tomatoes!). I'm growing (early girl?) and San Marzano paste (for canning). All have set and are growing nicely. Just waitin! I am growing (new to me) tomatillos this year too. Those are growing all over the place, I am tying them almost daily. The papery outsides are empty....

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9a)

This is a picture of Juliet F1 paste. They are just starting to turn red. My Tommy Toe cherry tomatoes are just turning red also. All the others are still green. (Brandywine, Brandy Boy, Red Agate, Striped German, Experimental #9 and my 2 Russian varieties.)

Thumbnail by Kathy_T
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

So far I only have green tomatoes. I'm growing Bellstar Paste, Early Girl and Better Boy. I think I have 2 yellow pear plants. I start them from seed about April 15, and set them out into the garden about June 5-10, by then they are nicely grown in 4 inch pots. I lay them down in a trench when I plant them so they make extra roots along the stem. They look tiny and pitiful for a few days and then suddenly take off growing like weeds. Usually I put plastic around the cages and set a couple of gallon jugs of water inside each cage next to the plants. This year for some reason I didn't, I hope it didn't slow things down too much because we had a couple of weeks of cool weather right after I set things out. I'll try to get some pictures to post.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

My 'maters that got planted in a hot-bed in mid-March have been producing for a month. Cabot, Oregon Spring, and Principesse Borghese (so were Opalka, but see below).

My others that were planted at the normal time, mid-May, have just started to produce a couple weeks ago -- Roma, Cherry, and Jolly.

Opalkas are growing huge, but they are very late to produce, so it might be at least a week before any start changing color.

Our spring was also very late and very cold, summer was late arriving, but doing hot-bed techniques helped keep the plants growing, not just hanging out.

Reynoldsburg, OH(Zone 5b)

Too soon to tell about the fruit but the plants are growing nicely with plenty of green tomatoes. Didn't put anything in the ground until June 14th ( a month+ later than usual ) because Central Ohio weather was cooler than normal. 2 Juliet and 2 Better Boy in a raised bed. Juliet should be ready to pick in 2-3 weeks; the Better Boys end of August.

PS- A Greyhound "HI" to lupinelover! I grew up at 3767 Richard Ave.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

bohica...A bigtime welcome to DG! And you're from Lupy's neighborhood!!!!?? Oh my oh my! Yo're gonna love it here!

Reynoldsburg, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you Horseshoe! Searched on "Juliet tomato" and this site was at the top of the list. Looks like a great place to post.
I moved to Reynoldsburg in 1985. It bills itself as "The Birthplace of the Tomato". Here is a link from the Ohio Historical Society with a bit of info about Alexander Livingston. http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/exhibits/ohiopix/image.cfm?ID=3165

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

bohica...Your search did you justice, this site is very much at the top of the list! You're gonna love it here!

Glad you popped in! Reckon you better take your shoes off and sit a spell! Lots of forums here you might be interested in! Recipes Forum(check out MistyMeadows tomato pie! or perhaps you'd like to try my Chicken Feet casserole); Garden Foes...all you are trying to learn about combatting them pesky varmints and vermin that are trying to make off with your goodies!; or maybe the Photos forum, you're gonna love it!

Again, mighty big welcome! See ya here! :>)

This message was edited Thursday, Jul 31st 7:34 PM

Welcome Bohica,

Just come in and set awhile and you will never leave. I personally think this is the best forum site around!

Ok everyone, which is your favorite tasting tom that you are growing and is is crispy, mushy or what?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Abe Lincoln...no doubt. Perfect blend of meat, juice, old-time flavor!

For a paste, "Poppy's Plum"...Italian heirloom. Best there is!

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I've got several varieties as well, I'd have to go out and look to tell you exactly what they are; all are setting fruit, but as far as ripe--I've gotten one small beefmaster, several celebrities, a few grape tomaotes, nothing else. I have one large pink beefmaster turning right now.

Like others have said, our weather has been so weird. Usually by this time of the year I've got tomaotes coming out of my ears, and eating sweetcorn and green beans just about every night for supper.

Not this year. Our first corn and beans rotted in the ground. By the time we got back in the garden, it was too late, I think... the corn is just now thigh high.

The greenbeans were doing well until the deer decided they needed them more than I did and mowed them all down. most of them are back and blooming, but I'm sure the deer know that too.

We're moving the garden next year to higher ground with better run-off. Hopefully that, along with 3 dogs will solve part of the problem.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

I don't feel so bad now. In the great white north, I have been eating vineripened since the 8th of July. Right now I can't keep up with them and am supplying family and friends with lemon boy, sun gold cherries, gardeners delight, tigerella and a little yellow pear tomato that we just call the Kate tomato because my great niece eats every one as it ripens. No ripe romas yet but they seem to take longer.

Just got my first ripe San Marzano paste tomato. It was firm and not mushy, though I could see that it was close on the top. The seed cavaties were not full on top, but all at the bottom. Nice flavor, but not really a sweet tomato. I would say an OK paste. I prefer a sweet paste tomato.

I think the yellow tomatoes are Lemon Boy. Maybe I mixed up a plant! But I can't think of what else it would be. I like this tomato alot!

I can see the Aussies getting red and I have this huge tomato (2 lbs) at least getting pink. I surely don't remember a pink one being planted. I think this is Giant Belgium, that's what I have written on he stake.

I got the first Black from Tula and I just loved the rich mild salty sweet flavor. Very interesting tomato. If you have to salt you toms, you will like this without salt! I would grow this again for sure.

Am waiting for the others to get their act together and get red.

Thanks for all your opinions. I will have to try some of your favorites next year.

Here is a pic of my first Aussie Tomato getting ripened. Can't wait to try it!

Thumbnail by Jul

Here is a picture of the Giant Belgium. Pink!! They seem to split on the sides, but what the heck, my favorite tomato does the same thing. I can live with that.

This message was edited Wednesday, Aug 6th 2:06 PM

Thumbnail by Jul
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Ripe tomatoes!! Woooopeeeee! I also picked the first corn today, good eatin' tonight I'll tell you.

Hey Mary, My Tomatoes are staring to ripen! I love the lemon boys and I will eat that pink tomato this weekend. I will let everyone know how they all are. So far I have a lot that did not keep their fruit. It has been awful hot here. (100 avg with 105 tops)

Hey, eat one of those corns for me would ya huh? I can just taste it... Yummy ( Julie is now drooling)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

fantastic year I have several favorites all good' buffalo , earl of edgecomb' husky red, monroe, these are all good solid firm and tasty large fruited tomatoes clear skinned and smooth with little waste when peeled. Another favorite is a plant that will grow in a 5 gallon bucket with ease it is called tumbler and is extremly prolific bearing all season two months where I live. great deck plant and while I have not done it you are supposed to be able to grow it in a hanging basket. by the way tumbler is a two bite red cherry

This message was edited Sunday, Sep 7th 10:21 PM

Well.... I lost most of the tomatoes that were on a lot of the plants. We have had so many days at 100 degrees or just below this year and the plants just don't like it. I have kept all the ones that did not die (most are still living) and I hope that I will get some to set when the weather gets a bit cooler. I had some set only to drop off. One of the plants just had tomatoes that were baked on the vine.

I so appreciate all of your input.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Jul, Sorry to hear about your tomatoes. I hope some come back for you as the weather cools down. (We finally had rain yesterday and last night, what relief!)

Our tomatoes are finally ripening up. The Early Girls that I thought were Early Girls are huge. I think they might be the Burpee Better Boys. I didn't keep good records at seed time this year. I had my first BLT and boys was it good!

I tasted the San Marzano and agree it is not a really sweet one. Like sweet also for the tomato sauce I make.

Well time to get out the canner and get everything ready. I expect to start canning later this week.

My husband is in seventh heaven. I was able to plant a lot of onions, tomatillos, hot peppers and cilantro so he can make salsa. :)

Oh, you like hot peppers. I should dry some and send them up to your DH. I have a lot this year. Some different kinds. Some of the peppers said sweet. Yea, they sure did tell fibs!

I did get some XL Beefsteaks and some Lemon Boys and some Aussies. I got some paste tomatoes and some cool little grape tomatoes. I also got some yellow pear ones as well as some that were from previuos years seeds. So I didn't get to can, but I got some to eat. I am hoping still for some to can.

Enjoy canning, I know it's lots of work, but I am sure you are glad to have enough to can.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

My husband loves hot and spicy and the hotter the better. Yesterday we pulled a pepper and we both looked at each other because neither one could remember planting this one. It is shaped like cayenne, but green. We took a bite in the garden and then ran to our water bottles. Tears streaming down my face. Whoo! :)

What kind of peppers will you dry. Sounds good! Do you let them go red on the stem or? I'm hijacking the thread. Sorry. E-mail me about your technique if you get some extra time! :-D

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

My tomatoes are ripening, some better than others. The yellow pears are doing well, I picked a big bowlfull of them yesterday and they were all eaten in about an hour. We have been eating the Early Girls for about 2 weeks now, and a few Better Boys are also ripe. I need to get the ripe ones picked right away and see if there are enough to start canning them. We have cold weather forecast for nights this week so I'll be getting out the old blankets to keep the rest of the crop from freezing. This cold front moved in overnight and we went from 90-100 degree days last week to 50 today. Overnight it was 42 and it is supposed to get colder (they're saying 30 for Sunday night) in the next few nights. Not good for the tomatoes or the tomato lover.

Mary,

I should say not!

We just had our first cool day in a long time today. There was some fog around the lake that I have not seen since early May sometime. It is now 88, but was 90 an hour ago. We have a cool breeze moving in. It was downright chilly last evening. This morning it was 50! I have not seen it under 60 in so long! We have clouds overhead. I sure pray for some rain to visit us.

I am glad tha you had good luck with your tomatoes. I just went outside and most are looking sickly. I may just pull them, I don't know. Maybe cut back and see what happens. I am so bummed that 15 of my varieties bottomed out. But, it WAS an experiment. I think next year I would like to let the area rest.

DH wants to put in a pool. I do also, but he'd better get a second job for that one! LOL Maybe I will just cover crop so the next year will be good. I think I have too many nematodes and soil borne diseases that I NEED to rest the soil. I have only had 3 years of gardening here, but in such a small area, it is hard to successfully rotate.

Hope the blankets work for you. Have a great day!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

MaryE do you know what the official name of your yellow pear is? I had left over seed from last year and used it up but of course didn't save the package and they are a favourite of my not quite three years old great niece. So of course grauntie has to be able to grow them again. Any help appreciated.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

My seeds came from Gurney's, Yankton, South Dakota. The packet only says Tomato, Yellow Pear. Days to maturity, 80. I think I bought it about 3 years ago. The plants grow to about 4 feet and are kind of wild looking things and I grow mine in a cage although the packet says this variety doesn't need staking. It also says this variety produces 1 1/2 inch fruits. I'll take a picture and post it when the sun comes out again. Fall just fell on us with a big bang 2 nights ago and it even rained, first time since June!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks. When its dayligt again I'll take a picture of the one I'm growing and we can compare. Mine are much smaller fruit I think more like 3/4". Very tasty. My personal favourite are the sun gold tumblers. They are a small (3/4" max) diameter gold orange fruit that tastes better than candy.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

what tomatoes??? Mine all got blight and I didn't get to spraying them, so I lost all my summer maters :( Working on the winter crop and will put them somewhere else so as not to have to fight the blight.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Mary, that is my SIL's favorite tomato variety. I start plants for her some years; she is a nurse and lacks time to start her own seeds. So glad to hear that y'all got rain!

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

G R E A T !
....Brandywine,BetterBoy and Jet Star....All doing wonderful in S.E. Wis.
......Plus, I also planted 3 Husky Red for the heck of it,not again in my garden....Determinate so supposedly no need to stake...HAH!
Both tipped over,sunscalded most of them ,plus they are so tightly packed together that it is almost impossible to pull one and not take a couple greenies along..:-{
shirley

MaryE,

How big are the Yankton? I am looking for a medium sweet yellow tom. I thought about trying to buy the California Gold Tomatoes in the can and see if I could start the seeds, since none of the growers will own up to what variety they grow (don't blame them). I have these little ones that are sweet, but I am looking for a bigger one.

How did the blanket work?

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

This message was edited Sep 22, 2003 10:49 PM

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

SCOOTERBUG better try husky red one more time. I staked mine and they did not sun scald. You are sure right about the close set they really produced for me. The gold is a carbon copy but I don,t like the color.

I will tie mine sooner and better next year and by the way my seed said no pruning required on the package I pruned out of self defense.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.