Bottlebrush Buckeye

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Hi All, Has anyone ever started a Bottlebrush Buckeye from cuttings? >^,,^< SB

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Everything I could find says to do root cuttings, but they are supposedly pretty easy to grow from seed. I tried seed this year on a California Buckeye without success, so ended up buying one at a nursery closeout.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Love your Bottlebrush Buckeye! How old is it? I have one, but it is only on its 3rd year of growth. It has a ways before it gets to be the size of your beautiful specimen! BTW, where did you get that lovely signage???

Since Buckeyes are shrubs with soft wood, I would try air layering them for propogation. That would be the fastest & easiest way, in my opinion.

Ahhh---from one shirley to another,I wish this was mine,I was google searching and used this for an example.There is one almost that big not far from me and I did not even know what it was. Do you think they would mind if they saw me sneakin' around-clippers in hand? Ha-Ha

OK found it again,Google Image search....www.dawesarb.org

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 23rd 11:02 PM

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

You could go in the late fall and look for seeds. They are very easy to see. Size of a healthy plum - just look for the Buck's eye. Seeds at http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2518/ and http://plantsdatabase.com/go/53823/

Hey there, Shirley and welcome!! I'm the 1st Shirley in MD, here at DG. I think you're the 1st one in Wisconsin too!!

Your beautiful picture that you found on a Goggle search, most likely grew at an arboretum. It is so perfectly formed, all the blooms look lovely and of course, the signage is the "icing on the cake"!

I will try and take a softwood cutting by air layering it. If I'm successful, I'll let you know.

Thanks georgefortax,
The pic of the California buckeye's flower is really pretty. >^,,^< SB

This is the b.E.B.B. near me,taken today

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Another View

Thumbnail by scooterbug

I think this property was a nursery,there is an old sign out front without any letters on.I can see a metal pole barn way back through the trees. Where I parked the truck there was a loaded sour cherry tree.....Veerrry tempting ;~) I hope this pic isn't over my limit..Yikes ! >^,,^< SB
Dang!! Grrr! Copywrite messed up the composition.

This message was edited Thursday, Jul 24th 11:07 PM

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Thanks for the great pictures! If mine ever gets that large, I'll be able to propagate enough for everyone here at DG!!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

How beautiful, yall take some of the best pictures. There are a few of those around here but I never knew what they were. Think I'll see if I can get some cuttings.. if I can remember where I saw them.......memorys not so good at times...LOL.....:o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.