Hydrangea With No Blooms????????

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Can anyone help? I buy my Mom a hydrangea every year for Mother's Day. My Dad plants them in a bed in front of their house. Every spring, right after the snow melts, he cuts the dead limbs off to about 5 inches above the ground. By this time every year, they are all in full bloom. This year, the one I bought for her last Mother's Day is the biggest of them, full of foliage, but no blooms, not even a bud! All the other ones are blooming like crazy! What would cause this one in particular plant not to bloom? Soil tests were done from around the different areas of the bed, and all came out with the same results. Is there a species of hydrangea that refuses to bloom the year after planting? If anyone has any suggestions, please post them or email me. Thank you in advance.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Are you speaking of the Macrophyllas (big leaf hydrangea)??It could be this particular one only blooms on old wood so if it was cut back hard then that's the reason. Some hydrangeas bloom on new wood, some on old. Don't cut it back next spring and see what happens.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.