help with identifying these please

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

These are some of the geraniums that I've grown from my bag of mixed seeds from the devon nursery.I keep looking in my sisters books, but am having problems still tryimg to identify them.

Thumbnail by sueone

this is the second one.

Thumbnail by sueone
Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

The top one looks like a pyrenaicum

thanks mark, i got all confused when trying to work it out from the books,

the white one could be a pratense

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

If the leaves in the photo belong to the flower then they are definatly not pyrenaicum though the flower looks like pyrenaicum isparta

yes, the leaves photo are the right leaves. i'm so glad it's not me being dim when I tried to identify them. They come from plantworld in Devon, in a pack of mixed hardy geranium seedlings, so does that mean they could be crosses?There'll be a few more posted on here I'm afraid as they come into flower.I think I have them sussed with the leaves, then the flower seems different to how the book says it should be.

Is it possible to get a clearer picture of the flower. The leaves and flower shape are similar to Bohemicum which often crops up in hg mixes and do occur in Plant world mixes. It isnt quite accurate but maybe the light or tour camera are slightly changing the colour. If it is Bohemicum the seeds will turn jet black and will be very sticky. The flower size is certainly right for it.

wil try to get clearer photo, my camera's not hot on close ups..or rather I'm not!!

what sort is your camera and I'll look up how close it can get

it's a kodak DX3600, they bought it for me as it's virtually foolproof.it does have a close up facility, but you have to look at the back screen to use it, and I can't seem to get the pic in focus,as it's not easy to see the pic on screen.

your camera isnt the best for macro shots because in close-up mode it can only focus to 10-24 inches (28-60 cm). The eye piece isnt the best way to set up a shot as it doesnt give an exact view because it is not what the lens sees. You have to use the viewing screen at the back to see what the camera sees. By using it on a regular basis you will get used to the minimum distance that your camera needs for close ups. If you set your camera to the highest setting for images you should be able to zoom in to the image when looking at it on Photoshop or whatever you use and cut it to make it look bigger.

cheers Mark, I'll try messing around with that. The only problem I have with using it on the best settings is when I've down loaded them on Daves they come out huge, and look like oil paintings instead of photos, will my cutting them stop that?

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

You should resize them before sending to Dave's - optimum size is 640x480 pixels
You can resize to this after cropping as long as the cropped image is that size or larger. - You can resize to make things smaller but not larger

this is a better photo of the flower for the first one

Thumbnail by sueone

and just to make sure you don't get bored.. here's the next one in flower. I will get the hang of this soon, identifying these,I keep reading the books, and checking out the site.

Thumbnail by sueone

your focus is getting better. Have you incraesed the resolution so you can cut a photo and still have a large one? can you take it again with the flower face on? try putting the flower in the middle of the frame. sorry for being so demanding. you'll soon get the hang of it.

The top one isnt pyrenaicum and I dont know what it is but it could be a wallichianum with small flowers.

The leaves on the lower photo looks like ibericum or magnificum but the flower is wrong.

we'll sort it out eventually

the pink one is Albanum (no question)

the blue one? its nothing I can recognise. I am thinking it must be a cross of some kind?

I didnt think of albanum. Sue does it look like this? http://www.marksgardenplants.com/albanum1.html

the leaf looks right , but not the flower, am posting another one that I've fiddled with, not too sure what I've done to it, but pressed lots of buttons and things

Thumbnail by sueone

and another

Thumbnail by sueone

wrong photo, duhh,

Thumbnail by sueone

Sue you are mixing up your geraniums. This is the blue one LOL which we are still puzzling over The pink one is certainly Albanum. It has two tone pink flowers with darker veining. It can grow quite large but is a bit of a messy grower and is better scrambling through other plants. It also seeds around a far bit.

Here is one of my albanum flowers. It matches the paler of the flowers in your photo perfectly.

Thumbnail by psilo

and its habit

Thumbnail by psilo

OOhhh Betty...now I'm confused!...The pink one , the third one I posted is an albanum? but my leaves look slightly different, not so pointy as the ones in Marks link?
Just hoe do you tell the different types? Do all the albanums say ,have the same leaf? or is to do with the markings and size of the flowers?
i keep taking the books out and wandering round the garden, trying to match the leaves to the illustrations,but the more I look , the more confused I get!...( not much different there my hubby would say !!.. )
I'm determined to get it sussed.
My sister has a nice collection ,but she buys fully grown labelled plants, so she has a head start as it is.One of the joys of buying packs of mixed seeds, but also the fun of it, trying to identify them..or nat..as the case may be.
Haw are you two on salvias? or thalictrums? or astrantias?..hee..hee
the salvias are the next ones I'm working my way through, as some of them have started flowering.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.