Digging In My Soiless Garden

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Horse stable pile,sat untouched for 12 years. Mowed,Tilled and planted a few things (late start). This will be an interesting experiment.

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

It's looking good so far! I see a VERY happy dog in the background too! :O)

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Very nice. It looks like you spend a fair amount of time there, I don't see weeds like I have in mine. Is the fence electric? Does it keep the dog out?

MaryE,Thank You and no it is not electric and yes it does keep them out. The supports are electric fence posts but only clothesline wrapped around. As I always say,concerning dogs,the #1 most important lesson is to first teach them thier boundries.
Later,SB

Still growing....... >^,,^< SB

This message was edited Friday, Jul 18th 1:33 PM

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Always wanted to try this.....Green beans & corn..Waiting to see which one wins the wrasslin' match.LOL.SB >^,,^<

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

lookin good, scooter! Real nice!

Not bad after being gone almost 2 weeks.

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Yes..I will use just about anything for mulch.....lol

Thumbnail by scooterbug

"Garden Salsa" peppers....not quite as much heat,now all I need is 'maters......SB

Thumbnail by scooterbug

This is a new basil for me,an underlying anise fragrance with this one.....THAI BASIL SIAM QUEEN........This has already been cut down once.>^,,^

This message was edited Saturday, Aug 16th 3:22 PM

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Keeping those rowdy squash plants contained...

Thumbnail by scooterbug

HOT HOT HOT!!! "Super Chile" pepps

Thumbnail by scooterbug
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hey, scooter... why didn't you also plant squash with the beans and corn? That's the ole Native American 'Three Sisters' way to plant, I believe.

Great looking garden!

darius, I only plant a couple of bush type summer squash , only DH and me here.
Yesterday I sliced 1/2 in. diag. and browned [but still crunchy ]in a little EVOO w/ pepper flakes and we had them with our white omelettes for breakfast. Really good, even DH ate them.I don't know what type the squash is,lost the packet. They get larger before loosing greenish tinge and are bumpier,but still are tender and delish.I will try keeping seeds,as I prefer these they seem firmer,would have never tryed to brown in oil before.
I've been away from gardening for 10 or 12 years so I'm all revved up. Amazing how the internet changes even this.
Later my friend, Shirley

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

scooterbug; has yer beans vined up the corn stalks? We were tryin that for the first time this year too, till all the rain ruined our experiment! :-(

Sorry to hear that tc,so far looks good to go here.
My 'horse pile' garden was a 'late' brainstorm. Then we had a record breaking heat spell so all the baby veggies did nothing for a couple weeks.
Now it looks like in about a week I will be living between the garden and freezer.Better late than never,huh?
Shore hope I can make it to the round-up. By the way can I bring a non-DG'er?............she does not have internet.
Took this pic 2 weeks ago,you know how fast things progress when they get this far......Warmly, SB
[think i'll change my handle to ramblin' on & on~lol]
Edited to read........oopsie sorry 'bout the pic size,still learnin' here................learn from mistakes..SB

This message was edited Tuesday, Aug 12th 10:11 AM

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

SB; looks mighty fine to me!! I do believe those beans have attached themselves to the stalks rather nicely!
Are the beans 'Kentucky Wonders'?

And I don't see why you couldn't let another friend tag along to the KYRU with ya! Don't need internet to be a gardener, or do ya?! ;~)

Yes ,they are Kentucky Wonder. SB

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

SB; KY Wonders is the only viners I've ever growed. Sure are good too, hope yers fairs well!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hey was that an arena or stable I saw in the background and are the hay burnin critters yours or a neighbours? What type? Garden looks great.

That is out indoor riding arena/Foaling barn. The horses are American Quarter Horses. >^,,^< scooterbug

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Good to know there are other horse lovin gardenin critters out there. Nice looking arena; does wisconsin get cold like we do in the frozen north here in Alberta. We ride indoors from November to April here. so even tho its been 30+ a lot of days this summer, I suffer the heat and dust knowing all too soon outdoors is not an option. I have appys myself but stable at a barn that is mostly AQH. We do some cutting and some jumping and some dressage and whatever.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Jagonjune, have a look over on the farm forum, there are several of us there that have horses.

Well Folks,
....Here comes another dang Wisconsin Cold Front....3rd one in a week.....BRrrrrr!
Warm Hugs,
SB

Thumbnail by scooterbug

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.