Need tips on dividing Shasta daisy & bee Balm

Columbia Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

My neighbor has a nice large clump of Shasta Daisy's and I have some Beebalm. She offered to trade some of hers for some of mine but I am not sure how to do this. Can either of these plants be divided by cutting the root system in half or is there anohter way? Don't know much about plant propagation but sure would like to learn.
We live in the NW corner of Montana and don't have a long growing season. Summers are short but glorious!

Marshfield, WI(Zone 4b)

I've always had luck dividing both of those plants, but timing is everything. You can divide them in the spring, but they do best if you divide them before the growth reaches 4". You could divide them in the fall after they are cut back, too. It's never a good idea to divide and move plants when they are in full bloom, but you could if you cut them back before you divide them. You probably won't get more blooms, but they should survive. In any event, when you move them put water in the hole and let it soak in a bit. You could add some fertilizer then. Keep the plant well watered for awhile. Good luck.

NANAIMO, BC(Zone 7a)

I HAVE DIVIDED DAISIES AND THEY DO VERY WELL. IT WOULD TAKE A LOT TO HURT THIS PLANT. SEEMS VERY HARDY. I WOULD USED MY SHOVEL AND CUT OUT A SECTION. I WOULD DO IT IN THE FALL AS ON THE ISLAND IT IS QUITE A BIT OF SHOWERS DURING OUR WINTER. IT CAN ALSO BE DONE IN THE SPRING.
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT DAY. HUGS SHARRON2

Thumbnail by Sharron2
Columbia Falls, MT(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the tips, myhres and Sharron2! I guess I'll wait till fall and give it a shot. There seems to be so much going on this time of year anyway; so my fall project list has one more thing on it... which is fine with me, I love the smell of fall and it is great to be outside when you KNOW you'll soon be bundled up and shoveling snow! Yippee!
I notice that you are very new to the garden, Sharron2. Welcome. Hugs right back to you in BC
You too, myhres. Looks like you joined just a little before I did. What do you think so far!
Have either of you decided which are your favorite forums yet? Nice picture Sharron2- I am trying to get some pictures up but haven't figured out how to go about resizing some higher resolution pics and then how to upload them. I am new to the digital camera thing and all that goes with! Learning curves are always there, aren't they?

Thanks again,
Connie

This message was edited Thursday, Jul 31st 4:07 AM

Marshfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Connie:

Welcome to you, too. I have been enjoying DG very much and have learned an incredible amount. Also have gotten a plant identified and that plant mailed to me (in great condition) for postage. Am in the process of trading columbine seeds, too. So I am really in my element. I like the Seed Trading, Propagation, Perennial and Garden Foes forums (my unending war with slugs). I see you are about in my Zone 4, too. So, if you're interested in trading any seeds, let me know. I will have columbine, Goblin Gaillardia, balloon flower, Centaurea, Bachelor buttons and probably a lot more. Nice typing to you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.